PDA

View Full Version : Unexpected LVT Crash

thelight
11th August 2004, 01:33 PM
My server just decided to 90% lock up with an error displayed on screen of 'CPU0: Unexpected LVT TMR interrupt!. Nearly everything locked up except the login screen, which allowed me to type in my username and password but froze as soon as i pressed enter. Ive googled for this, and found nothing but code snippets which mean very little to me. What on earth does this error mean?

Jman
12th August 2004, 03:44 AM
What I found seems to relate to P4 machines and "thermal interrupts". Something about your CPU and overheating? The relevant file in the kernel source code is arch/i386/kernel/cpu/mcheck/p4.c

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

thelight
12th August 2004, 01:13 PM
I noticed code like that on google, problem is though, this isnt a P4, its an old dual 533 celeron system, and as far as i can see, the cpu temperature isnt fluctuating or rising prior to the crash.

Jman
12th August 2004, 11:14 PM
No clue, sorry.

You were able to recover from this, or does it come up again?

thelight
13th August 2004, 01:23 PM
When it happens, the only way I can find of getting the server back is to power it off physically, then restart. This has happened about 4 times, seemingly randomly, with no suspicious temperature or load values prior to the crash (i use munin to monitor this type of thing).