PDA

View Full Version : Who's greatest? Pele or Maradona?

notageek
20th November 2008, 12:10 PM
I've always wondered who's better Pele or Maradona.

Pele: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pele
Maradona: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maradona

Herli Menezes
20th November 2008, 12:19 PM
Pelé is the greatest of all.

Jake
20th November 2008, 12:22 PM
Neither :p

But then again I don't like "Fifa" or "Football" at all.

Evil_Bert
20th November 2008, 12:23 PM
Bobby Charlton. :D

notageek
20th November 2008, 12:26 PM
Bobby Charlton. :D

Lolz! I knew something of this was going to come out.

uncholowapo
20th November 2008, 12:39 PM
Christiano Ronaldo all the way!

kona0197
20th November 2008, 07:37 PM
Football? NFL is better than soccer...

sej7278
20th November 2008, 09:20 PM
maradona is an out and out cheat. can anybody say "hand ball"?!

RupertPupkin
20th November 2008, 09:52 PM
Missing options: Michel Platini, Zinedine Zidane :)

But of the two choices, I'd say Maradona was the better footballer. The way he sliced and diced the English defenders in the '86 World Cup was amazing!

pwca
21st November 2008, 03:22 AM
Neither one is the best.

If you want the best footwork on a ball then I'd go with: Ivana Trump

notageek
21st November 2008, 04:47 AM

But of the two choices, I'd say Maradona was the better footballer. The way he sliced and diced the English defenders in the '86 World Cup was amazing!

Heh heh! I know ;)

If we're talking about the 86 world cup, then perhaps Peter Shilton should be on the list too.

But in my defense, I think I may have mis-worded it. I can never decide who's better among the two, but feel free to post your favourite too.

notageek
21st November 2008, 05:55 AM
BTW has anyone watched this movie: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escape_to_Victory

Its one of my favourites, and has Pele in it along with a few other football greats.

scottro
21st November 2008, 07:03 AM
No, but I enjoyed Bend It Like Beckham. Keira Knight has a big role in it, from before her gorgeous leading lady days. (Not that she was ugly, but her attractiveness wasn't a factor in the film.)

notageek
21st November 2008, 07:54 AM
I didn't watch Bend it like Bekham, it was too pop for my taste I'm afraid :) But it was a surprise box office hit nonetheless. From the reviews I read seems like a fun movie.

sideways
21st November 2008, 08:42 AM
It's difficult to rate Pele since he played so long ago, there isn't that much recorded footage showing his ability (In fact a lot of the famous clips are of him almost doing something great)

Maradona's ability is undisputed, he single-handedly led Argentina to World Cup glory and Napoli to Italian League champions (twice), neither team could have succeeded without him.

The poll is meaningless without the inclusion of others such as George Best, Johann Cruyff, Franz Beckenbauer, Michel Platini. And that's just some of the greats from the old school, the new era includes Zidane, Del Piero, Ronaldo (the original not the overrated Man U guy), Messi etc etc

RupertPupkin
21st November 2008, 09:04 AM
I agree with sideways about all the great players, but as far as choosing just between Pele and Maradona I would pick Maradona. And I agree that the original Ronaldo was an amazing player (great overall and deadly on headers), though I always liked Bebeto more. :)

ibbo
21st November 2008, 11:47 AM
I'm English so this was easy.

Maradona is a coke head cheating $%^&&*(.

Ibbo

ibbo
21st November 2008, 11:48 AM

Grrrrr the famous hand of god?