PDA

View Full Version : the state of fglrx in fedora 9

joop
19th November 2008, 11:58 PM
I installed the latest update which finally makes it work with X, however it still doesn't work well enough for me to enable compiz. Glxgears works fine. Does anyone know what's going on? Is it that they just haven't fixed a particular bug or something or might it be due to my configuration?

Stone Dragon
20th November 2008, 10:48 PM
It's worse: It worked 1 month here (after waiting more than a year, yes we were gladè) and with the latest update => same as you... now this sucks a bit ;-)

joop
20th November 2008, 10:58 PM
yeah it does suck... wish I had known about this before I upgraded to fedora 9! I don't feel like going through the complex process of downgrading X either.

Stone Dragon
21st November 2008, 04:35 PM
It worked with the new xorg, that's what frustrated me, and somehow, they reverted to an older fglrx-version on rpmfusion OR it's just the new xorg 1.5.2 version, that's making trouibles. I guess xorg being troublesome. So I really hope, there will be another fglrx-driver for xorg 1.5 stable enough to get released soon... If I have the chance of choice, I ALWAYS chose nvidia-graphic cards since 4 years now. But on this machine (iMac alu), there was no choice, lucky me, that this hardware-litter is the only one with ati-crap inside (yeah, I know, ATI is no crap, the drivers are...)

LBCoder
21st November 2008, 08:43 PM
Follow the guide in the how-to section to make it work. There's more to it than just installing the driver.

joop
24th November 2008, 02:45 AM
All I had to do to get compiz to work in F8 was to install fglrx and then enable desktop effects. It's not so critical that I'm willing to go through a bunch of complicated steps just to make my desktop pretty.

JohnVV
24th November 2008, 06:33 AM
All I had to do to get compiz to work in F8 was to
fedora 9 is not fedora 8

Stone Dragon
24th November 2008, 10:19 AM
It's just useless to care about ATI imho. As I got special hardware (iMac Alu) there was no choice for me here. But ANY other machine will be bought explicitly with an nvidia in it.
I'm not an nvidia-fanboy, I just compare the hassle since years. If ATI is able to release working and STABLE drivers for actual xorg releases, I'll be the very first who buys that stuff.

LBCoder
25th November 2008, 02:34 AM
ATI cards up to R500 are supported by open source drivers. The "word" is that R600 open source support could be here by year's end. At this point, there will be NO NEED to install any binary driver AT ALL. Why go to the trouble of installing nvidia's flawed binary driver when you could just *do nothing* and have it all work? In terms of shear laziness, ati cards are the way to go. In terms of the best support, ati cards are the way to go. I say this as someone who has nvidia cards and recently decided to switch to ati.

Stone Dragon
25th November 2008, 09:39 AM
I also hate binary drivers, but it seems I do not have a >R600 in my iMac ;-) and so far the 3D capabilities are heard to be poor (but I cannot prove that, never seen any).
Nvidia is the only one component (besides intel), I'm looking for explicitly when forging a new pc at home, because eventhough it's a binary driver, it's working excellent in 2D and 3D mode.

LBCoder
25th November 2008, 06:38 PM
You know, just for fun you can get an R500 for dirt cheap ~$50. 2D performance is excellent with the open source driver, and 3D should be fine for most. I'll admit that I'm not a gamer, but its worked fine for everything I've looked at... compiz, googleearth, supertuxcart.... I suppose it really depends on what you're looking for - if you're really into gaming, then maybe binary blobs are your best option, but just remember that even for the ATI cards, you still have fglrx, which really is no worse than nvidia's binary.