PDA

View Full Version : ntfs module failed.

cultninja
11th August 2004, 01:55 AM
hello guys. i just installed fedora, and generally im new to linux.My setup is going fine but i have a little problem. i cant make fedora core 2 support ntfs.i want to fedora faq and i there i saw about the ntfs - linux project on sourceforge. i found the right rpm i downloaded it and then i tried to install it after installing it i get a
msg error: cannot load the ntfs kernel module
also %post(kernel-ntfs-blah blah) scriptlet failed,exit status 1

what does this mean? can anyone help me out ? it would be great help....thanx.

imdeemvp
11th August 2004, 02:22 AM
i had the same problem at one time....turn off pc and power on again...the second try it worked!

make sure it matches the kernel :eek:

cultninja
11th August 2004, 03:32 AM
i'll try that. thanx.. :) and i hope the problem will be solved

Harryc
11th August 2004, 09:09 AM
What kernel version are you running? There are problems with the ntfs RPM and 2.6.7 kernels. Solution - compile the kernel with an ntfs module.

cultninja
11th August 2004, 10:52 AM
im running 2.6.5-1.358.im sure that im installing the right rpm. but i still get the same error "module is invalid" when i try to load it.... god... what a problem :(

Harryc
11th August 2004, 10:57 AM
What is the result of;

# rpm -qa | grep ntfs

cultninja
11th August 2004, 10:59 AM
the result is kernel-ntfs.2.6.5-1.358 ... any ideas?

Harryc
11th August 2004, 11:41 AM
the result is kernel-ntfs.2.6.5-1.358 ... any ideas?How are you installing the rpm? As root?

# su -

password - enter

# rpm install kernel-ntfs-2.6.5-1.358.i586.rpm

cultninja
11th August 2004, 11:45 AM
well of course im installing it as a root :eek: .... :( if i cant read my ntfs partition i'll have to switch to another distro.

Harryc
11th August 2004, 11:51 AM
Is this the rpm you selected?

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/linux-ntfs/kernel-ntfs-2.6.5-1.358.i586.rpm

sayonara
11th August 2004, 11:54 AM
well of course im installing it as a root :eek: .... :( if i cant read my ntfs partition i'll have to switch to another distro.

I was completely convinced of this a few weeks ago. However, I created a fat32 partition and moved all my files, my entire My Documents, music, pictures etc over to this partition. Mounted it in linus, set the paths as default in windown and you don't see any difference.

What exactly do you need access to in windows that's so absolutely critical???

cultninja
11th August 2004, 01:09 PM
yeah. changing the filesystem to fat32 is not a good option. ntfs is better fs system so i dont consider doing it. my windows partition contains lots of mp3s,and its critical for me to hear them : ) is it any other solution ????

Jumping
11th August 2004, 02:14 PM
Did you follow this excellent guide?
how to ntfs in FC2 by Vitor Domingos (http://fedoranews.org/contributors/vitor_domingos/ntfs/)

I followed it and it works fine for me.

Kim

sayonara
11th August 2004, 02:31 PM
yeah. changing the filesystem to fat32 is not a good option. ntfs is better fs system so i dont consider doing it. my windows partition contains lots of mp3s,and its critical for me to hear them : ) is it any other solution ????

What is the difference? I remember reading that ntfs was more secure but I haven't heard anything else since. Is there somewhere that I can get a comparison of the file systems?

Harryc
11th August 2004, 02:43 PM
Last I looked into it, I found out that you can't write to ntfs partitions reliably and that ntfs is still 'experimental' in the latest kernels. I went the fat32 route as well for my XP partitions.

cultninja
11th August 2004, 04:58 PM
so... :( im starting to get disapointed by fedora. although its the fastest distro i ever tried an issue like this is important.i think that in order to move from windows to linux , linux have to support the ntfs filesystem so you can have access to your needed files ... :(

Harryc
11th August 2004, 05:21 PM
http://fedoranews.org/contributors/vitor_domingos/ntfs/

Hellme
11th August 2004, 10:10 PM
How do you set permissions on a mounted partition to allow root to read/write/execute? I'm tried umask=0022, 0222 and 0027 to no avail. I've tried Vitor's website, but it doesn't really explain what the umask would be for full access. I've tried 0000 and that doesn't work either. Please help.