PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to temporarily disable keyboard shortcuts?

DennyCrane
17th November 2008, 04:36 PM
(Without disabling them all individually and manually)

?

nick.stumpos
17th November 2008, 05:07 PM
a hacky way, would be to turn them all of, then save a copy of your .gnome preferences, then turn them back on, then write a script which save your prefs copies back the files which contain no shortcuts. and does the reverse. there has to be a better way though,

nick.stumpos
17th November 2008, 07:21 PM
as a proof of concept i did just that. i use compiz as my window manager. so i made a copy of /usr/share/compiz/core.xml remover all the option with "key" as the type. backed up the old and saved. restart compiz, no keybindings. restore old core.xml restart compiz, keybindings are back. this could easily be scripted down to 1 command. only took about 2 minutes to do.

edit: of course this would only disable wm shortcuts. other apps that use xgrabkey[board] would still work. maybe you could get creative with changin how /dev/console is read by X, but the issue would still remain for terminal apps that use the raw keyboard input.

DennyCrane
17th November 2008, 10:21 PM
Yeah, I thought of something like that. Thanks for the suggestion. I guess I was just hoping for a cleaner way, but this will work :)

pwca
18th November 2008, 01:59 AM
Ya know this is interesting... I could have sworn there was an application under:

System --> Preferences -->

where you could do just that... turn off your keyboard short-cuts by ticking some box.

Hmmmm... if your using Gnome maybe the setting can be changed with gconf-editor.