View Full Version : Did I "hose" my updater? (package-kit, YUM) or is it F9

Chilly Willy
16th November 2008, 04:42 AM
I got about 9 updates to install so as usual after looking at what they were I said OK to install (GUI). The install errored on the check giving about 5 lines in the package-kit. (sorry don't have them) So I tried to YUM the update. Worked, so I thought.

Now when I go to ADD/REMOVE it errors (no usable info in it) & I have to go into the command line & issue YUM CLEAN ALL. This "fixes" the ADD/REMOVE & my browser problem as I find that if I go into the browser (FF3) at the time of the error, I lose my button bar (the bar with the quick launch buttons to take you to different sites), forward & back button & the bookmarks. Plus the browser just doesn't want to function quite right. (can't put that into better words)

If I reboot with the browser in this state, I get a "AVAHI failed" error & the logon just cycles from the "X" to the blank screen with the _ on it. If I do the "FIX" the computer boots & all SEEMS to work but I suspect the updater is "hosed" (need to try yet but wanted to get this on the forum)

Is anyone else experiencing any of this - did I make a mistake by "YUMMING" the update after an error? If this is just MY computer, how do I fix this? - I suspect the ORIGINAL error is the culprit & Fedora will issues a fix - I hope!

EDIT: just confirmed that going back into ADD/REMOVE errors & I just repeat the process mentioned. - It seems that it is indeed "HOSED"
Other than seeing what FEDORA come up with, any suggestions?

16th November 2008, 05:20 AM
I didn't have the exact same problem but i just done those updates for the x86-64 and i've had nothing but problems. It broke my " yumex " so if you arn't using that then i don't know the fix but this will fix yumex.

wget http://koji.fedoraproject.org/packages/yumex/2.0.5/1.fc9/noarch/yumex-2.0.5-1.fc9.noarch.rpm
rpm -Uvh yumex-2.0.5-1.fc9.noarch.rpm
rm -f yumex-2.0.5-1.fc9.noarch.rpm

If you updated and then booted into the new kernel it could be that, i can't even boot into the new kernel but the old ones still work. I don't know what happened with this update but nothing good from what i can see. You should also do yum clean all in the terminal and it might fix it also. That's about the only two things i know of so far that deals with yum messing up and fixing it.

Chilly Willy
16th November 2008, 05:51 AM
Nope, don't use YUMEX...

As stated, I DO the YUM CLEAN ALL but it is only a temp fix. The kernal SEEMS to boot / work fine so not suspecting it, "at this time". I DO suspect it is something in the package-kit as that is where the ORIGINAL error was. (at least the first error message to show up) - & other than the issues being triggered with the ADD/REMOVE, all seems well. I tried the "update-system" in the GUI (GNOME) & it works, so hopefully an update will come to fix it. I think we both got hit by the same thing but with slightly different results BTW: I use the 32 bit version so that could be enough to make the difference.

Thanks for the reply - hope we both ( & whoever else got bit) get this resolved ASAP. :(

Chilly Willy
16th November 2008, 08:52 PM
After doing some checking, it appears that my problem is with the ADD/REMOVE (only?) as everything else seems to function as expected.

I tried to yum a program in & then remove it, all worked as expected. But using ADD/REMOVE to do the same thing ended in the same error & browser problems. But if I do a YUM CLEAN ALL and then try I can get to the point of actually doing the install but I have NO disk space left to do it & have the browser problems as well.

I was thinking of reinstalling the packagekit but wondered if I'd run into problems doing that. Then I thought of copying something from backup but noticed packagekit "goes all over the place". The 3rd thing I thought of & the most time consuming, is to reinstall from my IMAGE backups prier to the problem but I would have a slew of updates to add. - 3rd option is probably what I will end up doing unless someone has a better idea.

Chilly Willy
17th November 2008, 07:31 PM
It appears that the RPMFUSION update that I got FIXED the problem - IF it did NOT, I'll post again, otherwise consider this resolved.