PDA

View Full Version : Gnome 2.6 and Opening Files/Folders

electronerdz
10th August 2004, 03:01 PM
Now, I really love Gnome 2.6, except for one thing. The open dialog, or whatever you would call it. When you go to open a file, and it brings up the Gnome 2.6 dialog, you see a very un-intuitive window. I am not sure if this has been asked, but what I am wondering is, how in the world do I see hidden folders/files? The files that start with a dot?

Also, if I felt a little froggy, where can I change that whole window myself and play around with a little C?

Thanks,
Jason

kosmosik
10th August 2004, 03:26 PM
yo can recompile gtk2 AFAIR... from SRPM, check out patches it provides...

Jman
10th August 2004, 08:56 PM
The dot thing is easy. Open a file browser window, Edit menu > Preferences, Views tab, and check Show hidden and backup files. If you wanted to mess around with the source, it's the Nautilus file browser.

electronerdz
10th August 2004, 09:24 PM
I already have that checked. I don't need to see it within the file browser, Nautilus. Go into gedit, then go to File / Open. There you will have a browser. The side bar is great, because you can go straight to certain parts, but then you can never see the hidden files. If I could type in the folder, that would be halfway decent. That is what I used to do, but now you can't even do that.

reks
23rd September 2004, 12:29 AM
A crippled file dialog thingie came with gnome-2.6 :mad: I once spent hours trying to do the same and never figured out. My suggestion: open a terminal and type
"gedit <your_hidden_file>" Doesn't sound neat though.

Incidently, kosmosik: I guess this is some corba/bonobo issue. Recompiling or patching gtk won't help. But I'm not a gnome user, so the guess may be wrong also.

superbnerd
23rd September 2004, 01:01 AM
your right. it works in natilus, but not in the open dialog. sounds like abug to me. i'll test it again an report it to the gnome bugzilla.

Oetzi
23rd September 2004, 01:42 AM
your right. it works in natilus, but not in the open dialog. sounds like abug to me. i'll test it again an report it to the gnome bugzilla.

You can show hidden files.
Just rightclick in the folder view on the right (in this open dialog) and select "show ... " (i have a german gui - so i can't tell exacly...).
But the dialog doesn't seem to remember this selection (at least - i haven't found out how to save it...). :/

superbnerd
23rd September 2004, 01:57 AM
your right. I was using the open dialog from gvim. it must be using the old 2.4 version. I noticed xmms still uses the old dialog. how is that possible being that fc uses gnome 2.6? some programs have the new dialog while some use the old one. do all the programs have to be rebuilt to support the new dialogs? shouldn't it use the same libraries and interface? :confused:

foolish
23rd September 2004, 09:25 AM
The new file dialogue was introduced by gtk 2.4, Some applications use older gtk, xmms uses the ancient gtk 1.2 and gimp uses gtk 2.2. There is a lot of effor going on to upgrade most of the applications to the new gtk, but it does take some time.

In the case of xmms however, it'll never change. If you want something like xmms, but with gtk 2.4, use beep media player, rpm is available from http://newrpms.sunsite.dk