PDA

View Full Version : Lan RJ45 not working

trailer8713
14th November 2008, 10:08 PM
I was trying to do updates the other day and kept erroring out. Package manager would hang for 30 min.or more at a Mplayer Package would not let me cancel so I unplugged the lan to stop it. now my lan does not work. wireless is fine but not the hard line can someone please tell me how to get it working again.

The next morning I command line yum update via wireless worked fine.

Fedora 9 i386

Thank you

jbkt23
15th November 2008, 04:10 AM
Need more info. What is the topology of the lan? It may be an upstream problem. You've reboot since the problem?

trailer8713
15th November 2008, 04:43 AM
I don't understand what you mean Topology, Yes I have rebooted a few times. I plug lan in shut down wireless and internet is in offline mode. I don't know what I did to create this problem

jbkt23
15th November 2008, 05:13 AM
What do you know about the lan you connect to. And the same about the access point your wireless connects to? Do you maintain them? Is Networkmanager the only tool that you use to connect to the network? Is someone else using the same lan as you and they are connected?

trailer8713
15th November 2008, 05:20 AM
The router is in my home it is a Buffalo router with tomatoe, Yes my desktop is on the network thru a lan, and is working fine. Yes I have been using network manager

jbkt23
15th November 2008, 02:36 PM
OK, I'm not very familiar with Network Manager so if it is the problem others will have to step in. To start, I assume the message "offline" is issued by network manager when you try to connect to the lan.

Make sure to plug the lan in before you do the following.

The first thing I would do is scan the log "messages" in /var/log/ for the lines that reference "eth0". You will have to be logged in as root to do so. There are a couple ways to do this. The first, is to open a terminal window and enter "su" and then roots password at the prompt. Then issue the following command:
less /var/log/messages | grep eth0 > /var/tmp/eth0.txt
then, with you favorite editor (gedit if in gnome) open the file eth0.txt in /var/tmp/ and see what it says.

The other tool you can use is "System Log" from the drop down menu. It allows you to view the log by date and to enter search terms in the search field. This is handy when you don't know exactly what your searching for.

The other tool you can check is the "Network Device Control" from the menu. It will open an show you the configured network devices on your system and whether they are active or not. Once you have it open there are buttons to activate / deactivate / edit config and so forth. A way to trouble shoot the problem would be to have "System Log" open while you have the "Network Device Control" open. You can see new entries in the log immediately. So if you click activate eth0 there should be a corresponding entry in the log.

Hope this helps