PDA

View Full Version : So ... what did you do with your Saturday?

Dan
9th November 2008, 05:14 AM
Gentlemen ... Meet the Dragon ...

Up close, and personal!

http://www.zyloo-enterprises.com/graphics/devil-closet.jpg
The Devil's Closet.

http://www.zyloo-enterprises.com/graphics/Devil-2.jpg
Don't bother to Knock ... The door's open.

http://www.zyloo-enterprises.com/graphics/Devil-dance.jpg
Marshmallow time!

<..:eek:..>

From a live fire training evolution for Lamar County VFDs.

So ... What did you do today?

<..:p..>

Wayne
9th November 2008, 05:27 AM
Well, it's already tomorrow here :)

Hobbled up to Ikebukuro (closest large shopping area) and bought a clip lamp to light up the blackboard outside, had a pint of ale, on the way home stopped in a liquor store for "supplies" then came back, helped prepare dinner and then watched some Poirot with a few jars :)

Not very exciting, but am having knee problems recently and walking is painful!

Wayne

JN4OldSchool
9th November 2008, 05:29 AM
Glad you had some excitement. I stayed at my desk most of the day swamped in schoolwork interspersed with some forum hopping and a little work on a P-38 I am reskinning for X-Plane. It was not a fun day and I still have work left for tomorrow...

Demz
9th November 2008, 05:42 AM
Well, it's already tomorrow here :)

Hobbled up to Ikebukuro (closest large shopping area) and bought a clip lamp to light up the blackboard outside, had a pint of ale, on the way home stopped in a liquor store for "supplies" then came back, helped prepare dinner and then watched some Poirot with a few jars :)

Not very exciting, but am having knee problems recently and walking is painful!

Wayne

hope the knee gets better or you'll have to get your beer Delivered ...

but what i did on Saturday,, was the usual, stayed in doors as its just to hot an drank a few beers

Evil_Bert
9th November 2008, 06:43 AM
I slept in (after Friday night's beers) and stayed up late (technically, it was still Saturday there) to watch the Wallabies* play Italy. Other than that, I spent most of the day researching online.

* That'd be Australia's Rugby Union national side. They won 30-20, btw. ;)

kona0197
9th November 2008, 08:05 AM
I worked. Then watched NASCAR.

marcrblevins
9th November 2008, 08:46 AM
Slept til noon. I sleep less during Mon-Fri. Anyhow, turns out wife/kids wanted to shop all day! Mall, Costco, Safeway, & Starbucks. Came home at 9ish. Can't feel my feet.

bob
9th November 2008, 11:52 AM
"Chainsawing In The Rain" (Wasn't there a song like that?). Cut up the fallen trees and limbs at our neighbor's house and hauled them to the dump. Then a shopping trip to the city for my wife and back home to start penicillin and combat a gum infection. Finally, I borked vBulletin for everyone. Good day! :D

Demz
9th November 2008, 11:58 AM
what else can u bork up on vbulletin bob :D

bob
9th November 2008, 12:01 PM
Well, it's a Bright New Day, and I'm in it right now, so......;)

Demz
9th November 2008, 12:02 PM
whatever you do, dont bork up the login :D

glennzo
9th November 2008, 12:07 PM
I like that word research used by Evil Bert. That's what I did. Yeah, I was doing research on the Internet all morning. Then I was summoned to do housework. Dishes, wash kitchen floor. Fun stuff. Took young daughter to the mall in the evening so she could spend some of my money on clothes. :rolleyes:

notageek
9th November 2008, 12:28 PM
I usually pay my bills and stuff on Saturday. I decided to walk to the telephone exchange to pay my bill. A cool 3-4 km brisk walk.

But this wasn't going to be as useful as I envisioned, the exchange was closed, and so were other such offices on this Saturday because this was also the second Saturday of the month. A non-working day.

That was the closest I got, to do anything on this Saturday. I spent the rest of the day doing nothing :(

Edit: BTW Dan nice pictures, its not easy taking photographs of fire with an automatic camera.

Edit-2: Almost forgot, I downloaded the new Open Solaris, tried installing it through kvm on my other box, was going fine until it freezed inexplicably, didn't try it again.

Dan
9th November 2008, 02:13 PM
"Chainsawing In The Rain" (Wasn't there a song like that?). Cut up the fallen trees and limbs at our neighbor's house and hauled them to the dump. Then a shopping trip to the city for my wife and back home to start penicillin and combat a gum infection. Finally, I borked vBulletin for everyone. Good day! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVkOXdfpvas

Jeeze, Bob! If I'd know you were gonna get bored and start breakin' stuff... I'd have saved you a spot on an attack line. Wouldn't have mattered if you screwed up ... we were gonna burn it down anyway. <..:D..>

Dan
9th November 2008, 02:15 PM
Edit: BTW Dan nice pictures, its not easy taking photographs of fire with an automatic camera. I use manual mode most of the time. The key to fire shots is to slightly underexpose them. (And use a circular polarizer.)

trigpoint
9th November 2008, 02:15 PM
I usually pay my bills and stuff on Saturday. I decided to walk to the telephone exchange to pay my bill. A cool 3-4 km brisk walk.

Haven't been anywhere to pay a bill in years, the only bill I do pay is my credit card and that is done sitting at home in front of my laptop. I've taken every direct debit and paperless billing discount going

Evil_Bert
9th November 2008, 02:41 PM
Haven't been anywhere to pay a bill in years, the only bill I do pay is my credit card and that is done sitting at home in front of my laptop. I've taken every direct debit and paperless billing discount going
Likewise. They're taking that a step further here - with some, you now pay for paper bills, but get PDF statements by e-mail for free.

Glennzo - I like that word research, too - it gets me out of trouble a lot. :) Normally, I'd just say browsing, but I am actually researching hardware specs for a new custom firewall/gateway box(es). I may end up going with something like this (http://www.yawarra.com.au/hw-alix2.php). I like their motto: "tiny shiny cool stuff". :)

notageek
9th November 2008, 03:10 PM

Call me old fashioned but I have a deep distrust of direct debit on account. I do not underestimate the ability of someone (or something) to put an extra zero or put the dot in the wrong place. :)

I do however pay my credit card bills online, but only because my savings account and credit card are from the same bank, because the debit/credit is almost instantaneous.

@Dan: Oh okay. Nice pictures, I like the colours in these photographs.

trigpoint
9th November 2008, 03:52 PM
Call me old fashioned but I have a deep distrust of direct debit on account. I do not underestimate the ability of someone (or something) to put an extra zero or put the dot in the wrong place. :)

Have never had a problem, and if you do the Direct Debit Guarantee means that your bank will immediately refund the money, whilst the problem is sorted.

The amount I save per month covers at least one Friday night in the pub, and that's ignoring the companies that don't accept payment any other way. ISPs only allow direct debit, or a monthly credit card order. Sky only take direct debit, mobile phone contracts have to be by direct debit. You need to pay by direct debit to get the best gas and electricity tarrifs. The list goes on, and no possible problems can surpass my ability to forget :)

notageek
9th November 2008, 04:13 PM
I did not know there is a guarantee, maybe I should subscribe to this service if there's one here.

Also there's no monetary incentive to go for a direct debit here, it costs the same with both modes of payment and there's no special rates given either, only the convenience of paying it from your laptop/desktop etc.

Edit: Then again, I don't trust direct debit stuff very much. But that's me and my old fashioned thinking.

trigpoint
9th November 2008, 04:33 PM
The guarantee is probably a UK thing, but not processing bits of paper saves them an awful lot of money so I would be surprised if the banks are not encouraging direct debit.

notageek
9th November 2008, 04:41 PM
Well the banks do encourage, but not the utilities we pay. I think if I were to ask for a special rates for call charges, they'd probably have a good laugh at my expense :D

Anyways the point I was trying to make was I pretty much did nothing this Saturday when I planned to get these "visiting offices" stuff done and I forgot that it was the second Saturday of the month. :( I wish I had planned something else.

Iron_Mike
10th November 2008, 12:17 AM
Dan,

You seem to have some deep obsession with fire, now for 300 bucks an hour or an 18pk of beer a week we can cure you.......:D

Mike

Dan
10th November 2008, 12:50 AM
Hmmmm.

You may be on to something here.

About that cure ... screw the 300 bucks, but ... On location down there? Complete with those drinks with the little umbrellas?

Maybe. <..:D..>

kona0197
10th November 2008, 06:47 AM

Not very wise. What happens when someone steals your identity?

ibbo
10th November 2008, 02:53 PM
Going with the theme I too had a fire.

Albeit a belated bonfire to celebrate the death of the only honest man to have entered our parliament. aka bonfire night.

brunson
10th November 2008, 06:58 PM
Saturday was boring. Yesterday my neighbor committed suicide by locking herself into her garage with the door closed and the engine of her car running. The catalytic converter caught fire and ignited the ceiling of the detached garage building.

http://brunson.com/IMG00091-small.jpg

In this photo you can see the rear of my white neon in the nearest door. You can barely see the end of the SUV through the door closest to the fire fighter on the left. This was taken before we knew Karen was still in it.

Dan
10th November 2008, 07:54 PM
Damn!

Hard duty, Brunson. And a bad day. My condolences to all.

marcrblevins
10th November 2008, 08:21 PM

If you use very hard passwords, you are just fine. I use "Password Safe" for Windows and "Password Gorilla" for Linux, both uses the same .psafe3 password file.

Jake
11th November 2008, 08:21 AM
I can't remember.

Evil_Bert
11th November 2008, 09:03 AM
Off all the forums you could make that comment in, this would have to be close to the worst one to do so.

Demz
11th November 2008, 10:34 AM
Off all the forums you could make that comment in, this would have to be close to the worst one to do so.
im glad you said that bert an not i :) ..it was a rediculous comment to make