PDA

View Full Version : Fedora 2

z1xq
18th May 2004, 04:34 PM
Has anyone installed it yet and does it support the Nvidia drivers? Thanks for any feedback. Oh yeah, is it compatible with the addon multimedia stuff availabe for FC1.

ghaefb
18th May 2004, 04:46 PM
Why do you think FC2 doesn't support Nvidia drivers?
You mean support for 3D acceleration?

Netsplite
18th May 2004, 05:07 PM
Same question here, i read somewhere that fedora core 2 test3 had some problems with 3d games(like ut2k4 or ET).

ewdi
18th May 2004, 05:13 PM
try installing nvidia drivers from nvidia site, it might work, i got mine to work although loading login screen takes a while (halt like 4 seconds on blanks creen before it loads after i install the driver)

prisen
18th May 2004, 05:15 PM
Not to discourage you, but I believe the whole 4KSTACKS bit still stops the binary nvidia drivers from running. You may go ahead and give them a shot, but be ready to modify your xorg.conf back to 'nv'

edit=www.minion.de under 'words of caution' has quite a bit more info on the subject. This is only what I have read and I have not installed FC2 yet so this is 100% assumption. And we all know what assuming things does..:rolleyes:

ghaefb
18th May 2004, 05:29 PM
I have test3 now and I installed Nvidia drivers(the instalation script), had to change xorg.conf and all...
But ut2004 or et are working fine.

@prisen
What is with this 4Kstacks bit??
Can you explain please.

z1xq
18th May 2004, 05:36 PM
"I have test3 now and I installed Nvidia drivers(the instalation script), had to change xorg.conf and all...
But ut2004 or et are working fine."

Rock and roll! I will be downloading as soon as I get home from work.

Ug
18th May 2004, 05:53 PM
I just hope the mirror i've selected before leaving Sixth Form was good enough - and won't die on me.

Cokky27
19th May 2004, 08:14 PM
I have just installeed Fedora Core 2 and i'm trying to get my nvidia drivers to work but now all i get is a black screen when booting into X. I looked at www.minion.de under and this is what it says "Current NVIDIA driver releases will not work reliably on kernels configured to use 4K kernel stacks; users of recent Fedora Core Test releases are affected by this problem and will need to rebuild the distribution kernel with the force-4K stacks patch reverted.

Linux 2.6.6 introduces the CONFIG_4KSTACKS option, which must not be enabled if the NVIDIA driver is to be used. " Now how do i do this reversion. Help I'm a N00B!!

ghaefb
19th May 2004, 08:33 PM
@Cokky27

here (http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1702)