PDA

View Full Version : Question about defragmenting

DeadPark121
7th November 2008, 09:40 PM
someone told me before that you don't need to defragment your drives on linux because it does it automatically every time the files close.

so i'm wondering, do i still need to set aside the 15% of my hard drive for it to perform the defragment like i had to on windows?

i know for a lot of people, the tower only has maybe a 100 gig hard drive, so setting aside 15 gig was no big deal. but i'm a power downloader. i have 3 TB between 4 drives. so for me, that 15% ended up being about 450 gig that i'm losing.

so, can i finally use those extra 450 gig, and still allow the computer to defrag, or is it a good idea to leave it alone.

nick.stumpos
7th November 2008, 10:09 PM
defrag is something ntfs has to do there is no need with ext2/3

Hlingler
7th November 2008, 10:26 PM
The best explanation I've ever read: http://geekblog.oneandoneis2.org/index.php/2006/08/17/why_doesn_t_linux_need_defragmenting

Linux ext2/3 filesystems do NOT "self-defragment every time the files close" as suggested above. Setting aside 15% for defragmentation is unnecessary since almost no one defrags, but see below.

In short: no, you do not need to defrag an ext2/3 filesystem, nor even be concerned about it, unless the disk becomes >80% full. Above 80% full, fragmentation might be an issue.

Fragmentation checking and Defragmentation utilities are even more rare to come by, and generally unused (and untested), but they are available. See the link in my signature to "Packages by Forum Members" and find therein the links to DAVL and Shake.

V