PDA

View Full Version : best terminal

superbnerd
8th August 2004, 11:29 AM
maybe there should be a poll, but what terminal do you guys use? I think I am gettin tierd of gnome-terminal crashing and being slow. what do you suggest I switch to, xterm (kinda ugly), aterm, etc.?
thanks

ghaefb
8th August 2004, 11:45 AM
You can creat a poll if you want.
My choice: aterm - simple, fast, configurable,....

kosmosik
8th August 2004, 12:22 PM
maybe there should be a poll, but what terminal do you guys use? I think I am gettin tierd of gnome-terminal crashing and being slow. what do you suggest I switch to, xterm (kinda ugly), aterm, etc.?
thanks
i use Eterm since it has neat transparency with shadow under fonts ;) xterm is not ugly. you just need to configure it. I managed to use it with AA fonts and it looked good (and was fast)...

xterm
http://www.e.kliper.eu.org/?mode=photoez&dir=screenshots&file=notebookoo.jpeg

Eterm
http://oceanic.wsisiz.edu.pl/~kosmowsk/misc/mc.jpeg

rkl
8th August 2004, 01:18 PM
I just use gnome-terminal, which I know is boring, but it works for me. The settings I change are:

LucidaTypewriter 9 font
Switch off cursor blinking (can't stand it - horrible, horrible, horrible)
Run command as login shell
Control-H for backspace and delete key generation

I also edit /etc/DIR_COLORS so that it's set to "COLOR none", cos coloured directory listings are virtually unreadable and I cannot believe that they are the default.

kosmosik
8th August 2004, 02:31 PM
well gnome-terminal is kinda odd :) when you run a compile on it (or whatever, just someting that produces a lot of output on terminal) gnome-terminal takes most of CPU (more than compilation) time... that is not cool :)

taylor65
8th August 2004, 04:07 PM
If you don't like gnome-terminal, try konsole - it's has quicker response time.

crackers
8th August 2004, 06:01 PM
- xterm is the "grand-daddy" of them all and, therefore, is the "simplest"
- rxvt is kind of a "fork" of xterm in that they removed the Techtronix emulation, but added some bells-n-whistles (backgrounds, etc.)
- aterm is also kind of a fork, but is even "lighter" than rxvt
- eterm took a slightly different direction and was/is intended primarily for the Enlightenment environment
- gnome-terminal and konsole are johnny-come-lately entries, but with all sorts of extras added, like the multiple terms in one window

amazoneveryday
8th August 2004, 10:41 PM
I'm addicted to tabbed browsing and I think konsole's multiple tab thing is a great analogue. It takes a little bit longer to load up originally (and if you don't turn off it's sound thing it will try to start artsd) but it's not too shabby a console once it's running.

I just never close it and turn off the audible bell. Works for me.

Yeah it's uglier'n an inbred wombat, but very functional, i think.

seabass55
8th August 2004, 10:54 PM
xterm and aterm here

Jman
8th August 2004, 11:25 PM
gnome-terminal with white text on black background. I like the tabbed terminals.

imdeemvp
9th August 2004, 12:50 AM
i use the gnome terminal and it has never crashed on me.....:D

i dont understand why some many people have issues with their system crashing to often or not workinp propaly but none of my pc's (=3) crashes on me.....i sometimes wonder if they also update their bios too ????? which is essential when they have hardware issues :D

Varkk
9th August 2004, 12:55 AM
Konsole here, but I am a KDE nut

crackers
9th August 2004, 04:02 AM
I like 'em small and fast - I usually need to see about 3 or more at the same time, so I tend to go with aterm and xterm.

imdeemvp
10th August 2004, 05:37 AM
i hear flubox terminal pretty fast too....

crackers
11th August 2004, 03:20 AM
i hear flubox terminal pretty fast too....
The "default" terminal in Fluxbox is xterm. ;)

Picomp314
11th August 2004, 03:34 AM
gnome-terminal seems to work well for me
although i will have to investigate the supposed performance differences...

crackers
12th August 2004, 04:04 AM
My beef with Konsole, and even more with Gnome-terminal is the memory footprint. Them thangs is big - I need the RAM for those pesky J2EE servers... :)

Shadow Skill
30th August 2004, 09:20 PM
Where are the Eterm configuration files stored? The faq on the Eterm site manages to not tell me the path to the pixmap.list file so I can turn off the damned random backgrounds.

kosmosik
30th August 2004, 09:53 PM
http://dist.schmorp.de/rxvt-unicode/
it has AA fonts, transparent BG's, unicode and it is small... quite cool but I can't compile it on FC1 to get a grip on that :\

ghaefb
31st August 2004, 09:45 AM
My choice: aTerm -> http://aterm.sourceforge.net/

imdeemvp
31st August 2004, 11:12 AM
My choice: aTerm -> http://aterm.sourceforge.net/

i installed it to give a try....and i run the command aterm and it comes up now how do you configure this poppy to be trasparent.....and i read the README file
;)

ghaefb
31st August 2004, 11:18 AM
Just run: 'aterm -help' or 'man aterm'

Transparent aterm: 'aterm -tr'

imdeemvp
31st August 2004, 07:40 PM
sweet it works......i'll play with it later on....:D

ewdi
31st August 2004, 08:08 PM
i got a habit of using kterm :p it's a presonal preferences :p

imdeemvp
1st September 2004, 08:35 AM
i found an rpm download of aterm for fc2 (http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/4/idpl/1198558/com/aterm-0.4.2-0.fdr.5.2.i386.rpm.html) there is also one for fc1 in the same site....i got my workin' fine......:D

Edon
3rd September 2004, 11:05 AM
gnome-terminal was always my choice.
It seems to work faster in fedora, thought they patched it whith a performance patch that I saw times ago in gnome bugzilla.

imdeemvp
3rd September 2004, 11:17 AM
the only thing i dont like about xterm no copy and paste capabilities like in gnome terminal

ghaefb
3rd September 2004, 11:52 AM
I think copy/paste is a bad habbit.. when working with terminal
Don't do it. It's better to memorize the command :)

olivierv
3rd September 2004, 12:14 PM
I'm rather fond of gnome-terminal, and I use KDE. It's fast and the transparency works a lot better than Konsole's (try dragging *that* around with transparency on). I've also tried eterm, but I keep going back to gnome-terminal.

crackers
4th September 2004, 05:18 AM
imdeemvp - I guess you've never done copy-n-paste using just the mouse, have you?

Picomp314
4th September 2004, 05:19 AM
that is horrible i cant believe you speak of using a mouse for terminal business
hotkeys or NOTHING
almost everything is a hot key on my computer
ex: <ctrl><alt>c = gnome-terminal
<ctrl><alt>g = gedit
etc...

imdeemvp
4th September 2004, 05:24 AM
I think copy/paste is a bad habbit.. when working with terminal
Don't do it. It's better to memorize the command :)

when i download a package and the name is too long......i go to the folder where its downloaded and right click on it and select rename and i copy that....

then i type the command at the terminal such as: rpm -i or tar xzvf and paste the package's name so i can install it....i find it better then to keep looking at a lot of letters and numbers... :D

imdeemvp
4th September 2004, 05:27 AM
imdeemvp - I guess you've never done copy-n-paste using just the mouse, have you?

i did not know you could do that.....how? drag and drop?

Picomp314
4th September 2004, 05:29 AM
wait... you do *THAT* with rpm?!?!?
just
with a package called kernel-2.6.4.324.i386.rpm or something like that
rpm -ivh kernel*.rpm

superbnerd
4th September 2004, 05:42 AM
there is a another way (for bash):
1) type rpm -ivh kernel
2) press the TAB key
3) press return.
this is safer if you have old kernels laying around, and faster then the copy-n-paste method

imdeemvp
4th September 2004, 07:29 AM
wait... you do *THAT* with rpm?!?!?
just
with a package called kernel-2.6.4.324.i386.rpm or something like that
rpm -ivh kernel*.rpm

i highlight the package's name by clicking on rename i use the mouse to go over package's name the way it will highlight..... then i copy and paste it to the terminal that way i have the exact name of package to install

get now? or are you :confused: .............:D

btw i dont that to kernels.

ghaefb
4th September 2004, 08:57 AM
Don't you guys use TAB key for this?
It's like that.
You download a rpm package with very long name/numbers.
You are in the directory where the package is...
you just type: rpm -ivh (first two/three letters of file name) TAB (or TAB twice)

And you got the whole filename... no?

imdeemvp
4th September 2004, 09:12 AM
i will remember that for next time.....tab.....tab....twice....

yes tried and worked..................i learned something new today ;)

superbnerd
4th September 2004, 09:19 AM
wow, how did you get along with out it. now the command line will really seem more efficient.

imdeemvp
4th September 2004, 09:22 AM
i dont have a problem with commands..........i just did not now the shortcuts to the shell !!!

crackers
4th September 2004, 06:47 PM
that is horrible i cant believe you speak of using a mouse for terminal business
hotkeys or NOTHING

Your hotkeys mean nothing to me. And using the mouse to highlight and paste is a well-known, long-supported method of operations within and across X-clipboard aware programs. Example:

$ ps ax | grep java

Select the PID of the runaway Java program (like a hung WLS) by double-clicking on the number itself (selects the "word" - you can also click-drag to select text). Then

$ kill<space>

Note the space. Middle-click and the number is pasted at the end of the command-line. Hit enter and the command executes.

Note that there are quite a few X-clipboard aware applications and this select-and-paste method works extrememly well. And some that support hot-keys for paste (CTRL+V) also utilitize the X-clipboard.

Picomp314
5th September 2004, 07:13 PM
i hate the mouse.
i avoid using it whenever possible
i am so much faster with my hotkeys than someone with a mouse

crackers
5th September 2004, 07:32 PM
I used to be completely hotkey-driven myself, but I'm using and evaluating so many different programs/packages/etc. that it just has become second-nature to use the mouse for lots of things. Certainly the CUA shortcuts (Common User Architecture - standardized by IBM and ripped off by Microsoft and renamed) like Cut/Copy/Paste are there and I use them, but the copy/paste in terminals is to keep from retyping long sequences where even one little typo (like using "kill") will do Bad And Unintended Things... :D

imdeemvp
6th September 2004, 10:32 PM
this hot keys and shortcuts are pretty cool..