PDA

View Full Version : Setting up My Fedora Server - File System Question

zep
31st October 2008, 06:36 PM
Hello,

I set up my dedicated server for my website, and had a file system question ( first timer).

Im using litespeed (apache interchangeable server software ) which I installed according to a tutorial I found on the web (wget untar install) and compiled php, mysql installed, and built my site.

Now when I shell into the server and check the file space I notice that I am halfway through my disk space in the partition I have all this installed in /OPT.

My /Home directory has tons of room in it which makes me think maybe this should have been installed in a different directory (home vs. opt )

So I did some googling and found out the /home is User home directories, and the /opt is Add-on software packages. so I sure would like more disk space, and want to do things right. Did I accidentally install this into the wrong directory? Should it be in Opt?

Any info / opinions / education is greatly appreciated!:rolleyes:

Thanks

PilotJLR
1st November 2008, 12:46 AM
There's nothing particularly wrong with /opt by itself... typically /usr hold most programs.

Is there a reason why you wanted to compile all these components yourself? Was this for educational purposes?
If you just want a webserver going, you should consider NOT compiling apps, and install installing them through yum. All of the binaries for apache, mysql, php, etc, are all available from yum. Installing this way will significantly decrease your workload and chance of error.

There are plenty of howto's out there for this type of thing... here is one example (only install the services you want):
http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-server-fedora9

zep
3rd November 2008, 02:53 PM
Thanks for the reply, I did things this way because I needed a custom setup, Im running litespeed server, and needed to have all of my apps compiled and set just so to make everything work properly.

Basicallly, I see now that the server software was installed in the opt directory as an 'optional' app. The only issue I see with this is that directory only has 10 gigs of space when / has about 100 gigs. Is there any way to repartition the /opt directory without losing any data?

Thanks