PDA

View Full Version : two versions of redhat at the boot loader

jbelokur
31st October 2008, 06:12 PM
I recently installed redhat 9 on my computer, it has a dual boot to XP and thus a bootlaoder at the startup. The first time that I installed the linux OS and rebooted, there was the redhat option and XP. now upon my first load of the fresh Redhat the system went through a series of updates, I'm guessing that one of those updates was the kernal (possibly) because now at the bootloader there apears two aparent versions of the redhat os as options and the xp option also. why do I have two options? they have two different what I would guess are version numbers that appear in the title, they are different but similar. which should I use?
jbelokur

carpetfeller
31st October 2008, 06:17 PM
If the newer kernel version works for you use it. You can get rid of the old one by removing all entries for it in /boot/grub/menu.lst and yum remove kernel-version

JN4OldSchool
31st October 2008, 06:17 PM
The reason for two kernels is the old kernel acts as a failsafe mode in case you have any problems with the new kernel. I suggest keeping at LEAST two, you can keep more if you want. If you do not want to see the entry for the old kernel then just gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst and comment out (#) all the lines on the old kernel.

edit: oops! My bad, I misread your post. You may very well be running RH9.

carpetfeller
31st October 2008, 06:18 PM
Actually yum may edit menu.lst, I think.

brunson
31st October 2008, 06:29 PM
Those aren't different version of the entire OS, those are simply two versions of the kernel. It keeps two so if the new one breaks something you can still boot into the older one.

JohnVV
31st October 2008, 06:45 PM
in fedora 9 the new default is for it to keep 3 kernels ,2 as backup .
KEEP THEM and DO NOT remove the old ones .