PDA

View Full Version : XLib & texture mapping

PompeyBlue
6th August 2004, 07:44 PM
Is there some way of doing perspective correct texture mapping via XLib ? Or is it down to the software to write it's own rasteriser ? Obviously software rasterising isn't going to get advantage of all of that lovely 3d hardware acceleration.

*confused*

crackers
7th August 2004, 04:57 AM
I think you might be better off using OpenGL for advanced graphics. Xlib isn't quite up to doing the "super-cool" stuff you seem to be wanting to do... And, if you did get it to work, as you've noted, it will be sloooooooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.. .......

Bana
7th August 2004, 06:12 AM
Yes, I would echo cracker's response and also extend it to say you should look into the open source graphics library Ogre3d (www.ogre3d.org). I am looking into it and it allows you to do amazingly cool things very easily. I find openGL to be amazingly un-OOPed (all function and state based) which seemed to be to = large amounts of memorization IMO.

PompeyBlue
8th August 2004, 11:43 AM
Thanks for the replies.

I notice that "Tux Racer" is OpenGL so I guess I should go in this direction. Shame really, I was making progress with X11 and thought it was a nicely layed out SDK.