PDA

View Full Version : What Is Your Interest In Linux???

hakim
6th August 2004, 07:39 PM
Hi All,

Lets take a poll to find out what we do... and how we're involved in Linux advocacy. Feel free to elaborate.

Have Fun! :D

Tashiro
6th August 2004, 09:47 PM
Hello Hakim,

I just find it interesting to tweak around. Did it with dos, that was easy!
Linux is a bit different but i get the hang of it, and if not I have this forum to
help me out!!

Tashiro

mars_hall
6th August 2004, 11:11 PM
I fell the the market will be making a move, and I want to be ready to move with it.

blammo
7th August 2004, 01:19 AM
I got a fetish about penguins! Lady penquins!!! :)

imdeemvp
7th August 2004, 02:38 AM
i just like pc's :D

NeilO
7th August 2004, 08:20 PM
ethics

Ethics

E t h ic s

ETHICS

Jman
8th August 2004, 03:47 AM
It's a hobby.

I do touch on other things: I have programmed a little in Linux, I have set up personal web site with Apache, I'm a student, and of course I administer my own systems.

crackers
8th August 2004, 05:47 AM
I had to check three of the boxes... ;)

AliOop
8th August 2004, 06:00 AM
Love the freedom Linux give me. True, it's not for everyone but it suits my needs. It's awoken several interests related to PCs and software. Linux also give me a feeling of empowerment. Not to bash MS, I don't have any qualms about their products, but I don't like there business model. And last but not least, I like to tinker around with my OS. Linux allows me to do that.

cavedweller
9th August 2004, 11:04 PM
Can't stand MS, Mac makes me think of BMWs and people in tennis outfits drinking fine wine. I like beer, pick up trucks, and ice cold beer....... and my old lady :D .

Guess that is what I like about Linux. It is down to earth raw computing horse power that anyone can afford.

s0lus
9th August 2004, 11:26 PM
I just started goin to school for computer science...and to my astonishment not many people are using linux...so the main reason i started using linux was due to my curiousity and the challenge...

now after I have the basics down I just like to let people check my comp out and say

"wtf is that!?"

I can never see myself ever going back to windows...
I have fallen in love with the penquin

Also I would like to see linux become more popular as the years go by...
Bring down the MS beast.... :)

sailor
10th August 2004, 01:40 AM
now after I have the basics down I just like to let people check my comp out and say
"wtf is that!?"

I think it is like that for me too...I love PCs, technology...I can see the power of it, its flexibility
I want to show people the power that is out there...:p

I like beer, pick up trucks, and ice cold beer.
oh yeah! that too..:D

crackers
10th August 2004, 05:26 AM
It sure beats hacking JCL on IBM 360s...

mark
13th August 2004, 04:00 AM
It sure beats hacking JCL on IBM 360s... ...or wretched little debug forays trying to correct my mis-hacked hacks on a CP/M BDOS module...

I also clicked three - I'm a hobbyist (first & foremost), an IT guy (not by choice, anymore, but I'm the only person that knows anything about computers at work) and other ...I'm creakingly trying to get back into programming, essentially as mental exercise.

earobinson111
13th August 2004, 06:01 AM
i think one of my big intrestes in linux is that its stable and opensource, if i have a porblem (and the skills) i can fix it on my own, no need to e-mail microshaft (yes i know its microsoft, but microshaf is better) and wait for them to fix the problem (and they never do) oepnsource is the best

"free as in freadom of speach not free beer"

+ u just sound smart when u tell people u use linux

fjleal
13th August 2004, 11:36 AM
I had to check three of the boxes... ;)
Three boxes here too, but on second thought, I coulda have checked'em all!...

sayonara
13th August 2004, 12:00 PM
I have no real aversion to windows - it's just paying for it is the problem! I'm using linux because it's interesting and it gives me the opportunity to learn a bit more about PCs. I'm still a student as such and I'm thinking of adjuating my direction a little towards programming, so where better to start.

owakroeger
13th August 2004, 12:24 PM
I came to Linux out of frustration with the freaky blue-screen lockups which never seem to get fixed, and the black-box mentality of the proprietary world. (I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you).
Freedom of choice best sums it up. I don't want to "bring down the beast" , as some suggest. I just hope it learns some manners. As the open-source community grows, and as the level of cooperation and organization develops, I'm sure that "the beast" will display some truly "beastly" manners, but freedom of choice will eventually win.
At first, I only selected one box, but, after consideration, I chose 3........I can't quit now. The fun is just beginning.