PDA

View Full Version : Installed Wine, now won't let me login!

swashplate
25th October 2008, 12:44 PM
Hi All!

I am running fedora 9 on a Dell C400 laptop with P3 and 1Gb Ram. Total novice with fedora!

I installed Wine and it seemed OK. On booting up today, Fedora gets to the login screen and will not let me login as 'chris' or 'root'. I enter the correct password for each account, but it just returns me to the login screen.

Is there anyway of solving this?

Raffaello22
25th October 2008, 01:43 PM
Do you use Graphic enviroment or text enviroment?? Maybe you have problem with Graphic drivers.Another reason can be that after this how you installed Wine you don't have enough amount of free space on main partition ( / ) now.

bsund
25th October 2008, 02:34 PM
check capslock.. ;)

nah but this has nothing with wine to do..

wine isn't running when you login

tomcat
25th October 2008, 02:35 PM
Also ... check if you really entered the right password (e.g. check if you accidently have caps-lock or numlock enabled. Linux is case sensitive.)

uh... ten seconds too late. :)

swashplate
26th October 2008, 12:50 PM
Thanks for replies.

Definetly dont have caps/num lock on, and must be loads space for wine as its a 40mb hard drive with no partitions.

still baffled....

swashplate
26th October 2008, 05:32 PM
Sorry, meant 40 gigabyte hard drive!!

Still stuck in last century!! :-)

kto
26th October 2008, 06:13 PM
Try to start the gdm from a terminal (strg+alt+F1, enter your login and type "gdm") and then check the terminal after another failed graphical login for errors and post them here. Maybe they contain helpful information.

Raffaello22
26th October 2008, 06:19 PM
You can recover root password. It should solve your problem.

swashplate
27th October 2008, 09:59 PM
Tried to recover the root password; must have accidentally deleted the root account!!! :eek:

Reinstalled fedora so should be OK now - thanks to everyone for all their help. Might not bother with wine, but on the other hand, I need to run Mathcad for my OU courses.........