PDA

View Full Version : Where does the boot loader get installed in Fedora 9

royeo
24th October 2008, 09:29 PM
In previous versions of Fedora you got asked, during installation, where you wanted to install the boot loader, either on the /boot partition of the Fedora layout or in the MBR.

I have a dual boot setup, where I can boot into either Linux or Windows. So, to keep from messing with Windows, I didn't/don't install GRUB in the MBR. I used to install the boot loader on the /boot partition.

But with Fedora 9 it seems to give you no choice. Does anybody know where the bootloader gets installed?

Thank you,

royeo

jrummy27
24th October 2008, 09:41 PM
IIRC, I think it still lets you choose. You may have to click the checkbox for 'Advanced Options' or whatever to get there. You can still boot into F9 and install grub to your /boot, then boot into Windows and reinstall the bootloader. In my opinion, its much easier to manage the grub bootloader than the Windows one so I always stuck with grub in the MBR.

stoat
24th October 2008, 09:58 PM
Hello everybody,

The "Configure advanced boot loader options" checkbox is gone in Fedora 9's anaconda. Look for and click the "Change device" button. A self-explanatory pop-up appears.