PDA

View Full Version : Need Detailed Howto Article about Cobbler and PXE boot

M.e.M.O.
20th October 2008, 03:36 PM
Hello ,

I was searching on the for a while now but i couldn't get any info on howto make non-fedora based livecd images get to work with cobbler , or how to make them boot via PXE. Can you share any info related to Cobbler and LiveCDs .

Note that I am a beginner and not yet set up any tftp before without cobbler. I am running Fedora 9 for PXE host with Cobbler installed.

Thanks in advance .

scottro
20th October 2008, 08:29 PM
Note that this was moved to general support.

(I'm afraid I can't help on the question)
Anyway, this was moved because of a common mistake. Guides and howtos are for people to post their guides and their howtos--it is NOT a place to request guides and howtos.

Don't worry about it, as I said, it's a very common mistake. I'm just going into such detail in the hope that it will help others who aren't always sure where they should post something.

TechGeek
9th November 2008, 02:38 AM
I was here looking for other info about cobbler but I can stop and give you the info I know. I know you can pxe boot any image that you create using revisor. To get the livecd pxe ready, you need to use the livecd tool set. This basically takes the compressed filesystem that gets created for the livecd and stuffs it into the initram ram disk. While this works, its not as elegant as I would like. It pretty much limits the system to machines with a lot of ram, as you need ram for the ram disk and ram for the OS to use.

EDIT: Should have read your post more carefully. The live cd tools may work on other distros live cds as I think most of them work the same way.