PDA

View Full Version : Alternative: Yellowdog

Jman
3rd August 2004, 05:41 AM
I don't have a PPC machine, but I believe Mac users have an alternative while Fedora PPC is being worked on.

Yellowdog Linux (http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/) seems much like Red Hat 9.0. Support is offered but you can still download ISOs (http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/resources/ftp_mirrors.shtml).

Input from actual Yellowdog users appreciated.

macemoneta
25th September 2004, 05:15 AM
I have Yellowdog 3.01 running on a Powerbook Pismo. It's rock solid, and everything works. Yellowdog is a great distro, and a little further back from the leading edge (about a year behind Fedora). While it doesn't have the latest and greatest everything, it is stable and all hardware is fully functioning (including suspend on closing the lid when I tested it, though I don't normally use that function). There's no "futzing" - everything is setup correctly on installation.

Since I'm a long-time Redhat/Fedora user, having Yellowdog based on Redhat/Fedora makes the hardware really immaterial. PPC or x86, both provide an equivalent user experience (but definitely get a 3 button scroll mouse!). FreshRPMS has a Yellowdog repository as well, so all the usual addons are just a yum install away.

As a result, even though I use FC2 on my other (x86, x86_64) equipment now, I haven't been tempted to switch the PPC hardware away from Yellowdog.

jwiz
28th September 2004, 09:48 PM
Your mileage may vary there.
I tried to install YDL 3.01 on my G3/350 b/w with a plain standard ATI Rage 128(16MB), but all YDL was able to produce as screen output, was Framebuffer at 800x600/60Hz.
Anytime it tried to switch it to use the ATI Rage (2D oss-)driver, the X server crashed.
Well, thank you very much, Terrasoft.

jwiz

plbowler
12th October 2004, 02:42 PM
YDL 3.1 on a Wallstreet 266

a few glitches but nothing major, only had it up and running for 3 days now...

DarkMasterMatt
18th October 2004, 10:34 PM
Why people would use Yellowdog when they have Mac OS X is beyond me.

ewdi
18th October 2004, 10:35 PM
because they love the cute penguins :p

IceNine
2nd November 2004, 08:24 PM
If I had older hardware, I would run YD. Especially so I wouldn't have to buy OS/X. But on a new machine... I WHOLE-HEARTEDLY agree with you!!!

ieuuk
5th November 2004, 08:28 AM
because they love the cute penguins :p

see... create something cute and people use it - because its cute :confused: hehe

Narcisso
15th November 2004, 05:13 AM
Well Yellow Dog linux has been updated to support the IBM PPC 970 chipset (G5) and from what I've seen is sickly fast and gives somewhat better performance than OS X Panther (yes the latest.

What I really was hoping to see - cousin never tried it for fear of currupting files) - was running OS X in an X server window within Yeller.

I'm really thinking of buying an iBook 500G3 chip-based laptop to run Yellowdog..

How is yeller's support for Airport & Airport Extreme aircards and hotspots/base stations???

And what is the difference between OS X's UNIX core and Linux (recent build)? There is so much blurring that its almost the same exept for how apps are installed and apps available right? Furthermore, sorry I know this isn't the thread but, isn't the basic MACH/Darwin kernel of the OS X open sourced itself? Any basic clarification or even a link via PM would be helpful;

cheers.

frontwards
15th November 2004, 05:44 AM
How is yeller's support for Airport & Airport Extreme aircards and hotspots/base stations???

i would also like to know this. particularly for newer ibooks.

necrosis
15th November 2004, 09:47 PM
Last I heard there is no support for Airport Extreme (god i hate that name) because Apple hasent released enough info on the hardware to make proper drivers. (IIRC)

Narcisso
23rd November 2004, 04:23 AM
Apparently Airport Extreme uses Broadcom drivers; just like most Linksys PCI cards (although Apples is the mini-PCI standard insertion).

Guessing you'll need NDISwrapper 0.11 version to work an alternative.

Fatum
22nd June 2005, 09:59 PM
Because like myself I would rather not pay for an OS. The only reasons I use OS X most of the time is becasue my wireless card is not supported.