PDA

View Full Version : should i upgrade to 2.9?

projkt4
2nd August 2004, 10:42 PM
ok, i have been working with linux for a breif while now and i am just getting my linux box to do what i want it to do. I have saba running, a firewall i wrote, a couple of vpn connections and a few other things configured. now i realize that i am running the 2.4 kernel, and i am getting told by different sources different things; some say upgrade, others say it might mess up all that i have worked for thus far. i plan to initiate a LDAP/samba setup and eventually host an email server off of here. my question is do i need to upgrade and is it really that unsafe/hard to work? any insight would be appreciated.

yur1022
3rd August 2004, 01:02 AM
2.9 (directory name of distribution sites) is FC 3 test release 1, isn't it? Be very careful and expect difficulties with test releases. (In return, you might expect to learn quite a bit ... and contribute to the community!) Unless you are ready and skilled, I would not recommend it.

yur

projkt4
3rd August 2004, 01:51 AM
oh, maybe i just meant 2.6, i think that is the last non-test release. I am kinda behind on this releases thing. i just preformed the first yum update in like 3 months, it downloaded 73 items.