PDA

View Full Version : "ESC is already running..." ???

billquinn
19th September 2008, 10:09 PM
When I rebooted today, I got all the way to the point when my desktop was fully up, but a window opened with the following message:

"ESC is already running but is not responding. To open a new window, you must first close the existing ESC process or restart your system."

Clicking OK makes the window go away, and everything works normally.

What does this message mean?

I think this is the first time I got the message on a reboot. However, I often get this window when I use VNC to access my Fedora computer at home from a Windows XP computer at work.

Any enlightenment would be much appreciated.

Bill

kamgos
21st May 2009, 07:28 AM
same problem with me also
this may be had happen after vnc not sure
my network doesnt start auto i have to do ifup command to start the network

vpadberg
2nd March 2011, 07:13 PM
When I rebooted today, I got all the way to the point when my desktop was fully up, but a window opened with the following message:

"ESC is already running but is not responding. To open a new window, you must first close the existing ESC process or restart your system."

Clicking OK makes the window go away, and everything works normally.

What does this message mean?

I think this is the first time I got the message on a reboot. However, I often get this window when I use VNC to access my Fedora computer at home from a Windows XP computer at work.

Any enlightenment would be much appreciated.

Bill

:confused:what do I do to stop getting this msg, please help

campbecg
24th June 2011, 12:08 PM
ESC is Enterprise Security Client Smart Card client. It is a tool which enables you to configure, control and monitor smart cards and personal security certificates on your system. If you go into system monitor, and look at processes, you might see multiple instances of esc running, with some as zombies. Kill off the zombies.

Once all instances of esc are killed, from the terminal, run esc and look at the gui. If you don't have any certs on your system, you can always:

# yum remove esc