PDA

View Full Version : How to retrieve bookmark

Niche
17th September 2008, 03:14 AM
Hi,
I just freshly installed the F9. I used to use F7 and have not used Fedora for quite some time. My user name is "frank" under the old F7. Right now, the F9 created a new user name "Frank" right beside the old "frank" directory. I have bookmarked lots of useful websites under the old "frank" directory but I do not know which file is the bookmark file. Can anyone give me some clue?

thanks in advance!

Niche

stevea
17th September 2008, 03:28 AM
For Firefox ...
ls ~/.mozilla/firefox/*/bookmarks.html

stoat
17th September 2008, 03:29 AM
Hello Niche,

If you are talking about Firefox, the old bookmarks are in the the file bookmarks.html that you will find a few levels down in the hidden folder /home/frank/.mozilla. Now in Fedora 9, Firefox 3 doesn't use the bookmarks.html file anymore even though a bookmarks.html file exists in the Firefox 3 hidden .mozilla folder. So you can't just copy the old bookmarks.html file over to F9. But you can import it. If you are talking about some other browser, sorry.

sidebrnz
17th September 2008, 04:36 AM
Or, if you only want a few of them, do what I did when I stopped using Windows, but didn't reformat because there's too many things I may need some day: in Firefox, use File, Open File, browse to your old bookmarks, open it and bookmark it.

stevea
17th September 2008, 04:41 AM
export/import is the safest/best way in any case.

I keep a list of "todo" tasks before I decommision an OS release/syste. Among the items backing-up bookmarks and squirreling away a list of all know packages are at the top. Saving a copy of the changed files under /etc and all personal data too.

Niche
17th September 2008, 05:27 AM
thank you all!

NIche