PDA

View Full Version : Updates request "Disc 1"

jbeidl
16th September 2008, 09:15 PM
I have been running Fedora 8 for quite a while. This morning I noticed updates were available so I attempted to install them. After they were downloaded I was requested to insert "Fedora 8 Disc 1". I don't have a disc 1 as I installed from the DVD. I tried using the DVD, but update was not happy with that.

Since Fedora 9 has been out for a while, I decided to just upgrade to Fedora 9. I downloaded the DVD image, created the DVD and did the update. I rebooted the system and Fedora 9 came up just fine with my previous settings. I had to enable SMB and VSFTPD in services and everything seemed to be back to normal under Fedora 9.

After it was running a while, I received an alert that 30 updates were available. I downloaded the updates and then once again received the prompt to insert "Fedora 8 Disc 1". I did a little searching but could not locate the ISO for disc 1, only the DVD.

Is there a way to resolve this issue without building a Fedora 8 Disc 1 (assuming I can find an image)?

Thanks,
John

Seve
16th September 2008, 09:20 PM
Hello:
By chance do you still have the Fedora-install-media.repo enabled for F8 ?
See
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Bugs/F8Common#Package_Updater_.28PUP.29_is_asking_to_in sert_CD

Seve

jbeidl
16th September 2008, 09:31 PM
Hello:
By chance do you still have the Fedora-install-media.repo enabled for F8 ?
See
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Bugs/F8Common#Package_Updater_.28PUP.29_is_asking_to_in sert_CD

Seve

Yes, and I think this was the problem.

After I posted this question I noticed a "Repository Manager" button on the open Dialog box. I clicked this button and found a list of sources. The first item was "Install Media Fedora 8". I unchecked this box and it is downloading other required updates as I type this note.

I have used the Package Updater multiple times in Fedora 8 and never ran into this issue until this morning. I did a search on this problem but I guess I did not use the correct keywords as the bug you referenced did not appear.

Thanks for the help, hopefully the Package Updater will complete without error.

The good news is that the bug got me to update to Fedora 9!

John

LordMorgul
16th September 2008, 09:36 PM
Fedora 8 included an 'install from cd' option by adding a yum repository to the yum configuration that would let you install directly from there rather than downloading packages. You can find that repository configuration in /etc/yum.repos.d (I forget the file name, but its a .repo). You want to remove or disable the .repo that refers to the F8 disk, then that will not be searched for repo database information.

* slow post fails again, too many windows open at once. ;)

jbeidl
16th September 2008, 09:45 PM
Fedora 8 included an 'install from cd' option by adding a yum repository to the yum configuration that would let you install directly from there rather than downloading packages. You can find that repository configuration in /etc/yum.repos.d (I forget the file name, but its a .repo). You want to remove or disable the .repo that refers to the F8 disk, then that will not be searched for repo database information.

* slow post fails again, too many windows open at once. ;)

OK, thanks. I will check that out after the update completes.

I just read the details of the bug report referenced by Seve and it indicates that this happens the first the the Package Updater is run after an install. I have been running Fedora 8 for about 1.5 years and the Updater has been used may times. I wonder what "triggered" it to fail this morning? Probably not worth wasting time on now that Fedora 9 is released and there is a workaround.

John

LordMorgul
16th September 2008, 11:58 PM
Probably not worth wasting time on now that Fedora 9 is released and there is a workaround.

Yep just get rid of that .repo file if its still hanging around from F8, although it should have been removed by one of the packages updating to the newer.

jbeidl
17th September 2008, 07:41 PM
Yep just get rid of that .repo file if its still hanging around from F8, although it should have been removed by one of the packages updating to the newer.

Well it took me a long time to get to check on this. When the updates that were installing yesterday completed, I was advised to reboot. When I did that I saw GREP flash on the screen followed by continual beeping - no boot!

One of the updates I did yesterday included a kernel update but I did not write down which one. I searched the forum and found that there were issues with the latest kernel and some nVidia cards so I though that might be the problem. I have a GeForce FX5200 and the best I could tell this card should be OK.

I worked on this today and finally got things working by reinstalling GREP from the DVD. After I got the system back, I looked to see what kernel was installed via the update. I think it was 2.6.26.3-14.fc8. I suspect that this update must have failed while trying to update the GREP boot list. The only kernel GREP now sees is the original F9 DVD install kernel (2.6.25.14-69.fc8).

While looking at things after I recovered this morning I was notified over 200 updates were available, so I took a chance and installed them. One of the updates was a new kernel (2.6.26.3-29.fc9.i686). After the updates completed (took a couple of hours), I rebooted and everything seems to work.

I finally got to look in /etc/yum.repos.d and I found a file (fedora-install-media.repo) that makes reference to Fedora 8. Is this the file that needs to be removed?

The contents of that file are:
[InstallMedia]
name=Fedora 8
mediaid=1194015397.199387
metadata_expire=-1
gpgcheck=0
cost=500
enabled = 0

Thanks,
John

LordMorgul
17th September 2008, 08:57 PM
I finally got to look in /etc/yum.repos.d and I found a file (fedora-install-media.repo) that makes reference to Fedora 8. Is this the file that needs to be removed?
Yep that's it.