PDA

View Full Version : Dual Boot With XP

axes
16th September 2008, 08:04 PM
Well first off let me apologize if this has been done (to death).

I am a complete Linux novice looking to dual boot between XP and Fedora 9, both are 64 bit versions. I looked around at various how to's but most of them are assuming you have a second drive. Right now I have XP installed however I will be dumping all my files onto an external harddrive and then format the drive.

My installs will both be fresh, just looking for how I can do this, I don't remember what I did last time with Fedora 8 but it definately did NOT work.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Trid
16th September 2008, 08:11 PM
:O

I don't use 64-bit os's, but I imagine that the process would be similar.

What I did was install XP first, and ge that all set up. Then, make a partition (a large one) and label it whatever. You won't be able to access it from windows. I use a 35 gigabytes partition for mine.

Now, boot from your Fedora dvd or cd, whatever you are using to install Fedora. Then, you will do the install process, with all the picking of your keyboard profile and such. Soon, you will get to a screen with a bar at the top, and you should see all your partitions on that Hard Drive. find your Fedora partition, and delete it. Now, you are going to make 2 partitions. One of them will be swap formatted, the other will be ext3 formatted. the swap partition must be double your ram. This will be used as virtual memory by your Fedora OS. Then, make another partition the size you want for your Fedora partition. Format it as ext3, then you should be set-- Go through the rest of the install process, which you will be walked through by the installer.

Hope it works :DDDD

stoat
16th September 2008, 08:11 PM
Hello axes,

There are several ways to do this. But the classic and probably most common method is to install XP, then install Fedora, allow GRUB to be installed in the master boot record. GRUB boots both Fedora and XP. It's usually just that easy.

axes
16th September 2008, 08:47 PM
Which version of GRUB do you suggest? Do I install GRUB while in Fedora or boot from it like any other disc?

Janl
16th September 2008, 09:44 PM
If you go with the method listed above of just making separate partitions on your drive and installing Windows XP first and then just installing Fedora to another partition everything should be done pretty much for you. The Fedora install should detect your Windows install and ask you if you'd like to name it something (it'll be listed as "Other") and which partition you would like to be the default at boot.

csfalcon
16th September 2008, 09:55 PM
Which version of GRUB do you suggest? Do I install GRUB while in Fedora or boot from it like any other disc?

GRUB comes with your fedora distro, it's installed as part of your fedora installation.

here are the step by step instructions for dual boot:

http://www.csfalcon.com/wiki/csfalcon/DualBootLinuxWindows

axes
17th September 2008, 04:31 AM
If you go with the method listed above of just making separate partitions on your drive and installing Windows XP first and then just installing Fedora to another partition everything should be done pretty much for you. The Fedora install should detect your Windows install and ask you if you'd like to name it something (it'll be listed as "Other") and which partition you would like to be the default at boot.

I remember last time I tried this whichever one I set as the default would be the only one that I could boot up. It would simply load Windows every time, never prompted me on which one I would like to boot. However, my memory is hazy at best, there is a very high chance I did something wrong.

I'll have to wait until my external drive shows up before I can format my drive, I'll most likely end up trying both methods and use whichever seems most friendly.

stoat
17th September 2008, 04:52 AM
I remember last time I tried this whichever one I set as the default would be the only one that I could boot up. It would simply load Windows every time, never prompted me on which one I would like to boot. However, my memory is hazy at best, there is a very high chance I did something wrong.Hello again axes,

The default boot loader option in Anaconda is to install GRUB in the master boot record of the drive that boots from BIOS. If you do not interfere with that, I almost promise you that GRUB will boot directly from BIOS and present its splash screen and/or the GRUB menu. And since Anaconda is well-known to be very good at adding existing MS systems to its GRUB menu, I also almost promise you that Windows will boot from the GRUB menu as "Other" if you do not rename it as someone above mentioned. As to Fedora booting, that is a different matter unless you already know that it works on your computer. If not, maybe. Maybe not.

Demz
17th September 2008, 05:06 AM
Read this.. the installation bit http://docs.fedoraproject.org/install-guide/f9/en_US/

this might be better for you to follow http://www.overclockersclub.com/guides/dual_boot_fedora_xp/2.htm

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=55613&page=2&pp=15