PDA

View Full Version : Firefox - Right-click sometimes results in random action (instead of context menu).

DennyCrane
16th September 2008, 06:33 PM
I've been trying to figure out this bug, and now I think it might be specific to Linux, and possibly, more specifically, Gnome.

Would those with and without Gnome please test to see if the following does indeed trigger the action as described? (And also try to see if the error occurs "accidentally" under normal right-clicking circumstances.):

-> If you right click a link and hold the right button down, then highlight an item in the context menu, then release the right button, it triggers that action.

Current discussion: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=848015&p=4485885

A.Serbinski
16th September 2008, 07:43 PM
I don't see any bug here. Yes, releasing the right-button within the menu will trigger that event. Its supposed to.

This "randomness" being referred to is not randomness. Its a miniscule movement of the mouse between the time when the right button is pressed and when it is released. If that motion moves the cursor towards the context menu, then the *NEAREST* menu item (not random) is activated. If this is a problem for you, I suggest holding your mouse still and/or reducing your mouse sensitivity.

DennyCrane
16th September 2008, 07:49 PM
A movement of a pixel or five (absolute max) is a far cry from what would be necessary to select an action which is at the bottom of the menu (which is happening). So there is a degree of randomness.

I know that intentionally holding the button is not a bug, and frankly, I'm not asking you to confirm the bug, I'm just asking for confirmation that the result can be reproduced as described within the Gnome desktop environment (thank you for confirming that for me).

But I do think that it is a bug, because it is expecting a lot of people to expect for them to hold the mouse PERFECTLY still and to release the button INSTANTLY. It would take two "errors" on the part of the user at the same time to trigger the undesirable result. My hand might not be perfectly steady (but is certainly reasonably so), but I am quite sure that I know how to release the mouse button!

A.Serbinski
16th September 2008, 10:28 PM
Well as I said, you should reduce your mouse sensitivity.

And a very small movement is all it takes to select the entry at the bottom of the menu. If your mouse is positioned closer to the bottom of the screen than the length of the context menu, then it will open UPWARDS, which makes the bottom entry closest to the cursor.

And FYI: the motion required is a minimum of 4px diagonally.

And again, this is no bug. It is not unreasonable to expect the user to have their mouse configured correctly.

DennyCrane
16th September 2008, 10:31 PM
Configured "correctly"? Don't be ridiculous.

In answer to the rest of your post, the context menu opens downwards in all of my testing cases - I make sure of that. Second, even if that weren't the case, how would you then explain that the actions in the MIDDLE occur just as frequently?

A.Serbinski
16th September 2008, 10:49 PM
A different mouse has a different sensitivity. One person's hand may be more or less stable than another's. For this reason, the characteristics of the mouse known as sensitivity and acceleration are ADJUSTABLE. You need to run the program System --> Preferences --> Hardware --> Mouse and adjust the mouse sensitivity on your system to the level that is appropriate for you and your hardware. Is that simple enough?

DennyCrane
16th September 2008, 10:53 PM
For the record, this happens with more than one mouse. The sensitivity difference between them is marked.

A.Serbinski
16th September 2008, 10:56 PM
I give up. Maybe you should buy an apple.