PDA

View Full Version : WHY?? Exclamation An internal system error has occurred. SOLVED

gringo057
13th September 2008, 07:30 AM
I recently did an extremely large update and immediately upon entering my seemingly functional FC9 I suddenly started getting and now constantly get a SYSTEM ERROR NOTICE. As stated in the title; An internal system error has occurred. That is always headed with a red exclamation mark inside a yellow triangle.
:confused: :confused:
I then read the information given and it is as follows;
__________________________________________________ _______________________
Error Type: <type 'exceptions.SyntaxError'>
Error Value: invalid syntax (filter-data.py, line 111)
File : /usr/share/PackageKit/helpers/yum/get-repo-list.py , line 17, in
<module>
backend = PackageKitYumBackend(sys.argv[2:])
File : /usr/share/PackageKit/helpers/yum/yumBackend.py , line 242, in __init__
self._setup_yum()
File : /usr/share/PackageKit/helpers/yum/yumBackend.py , line 1555, in
_setup_yum
self.yumbase.doConfigSetup(errorlevel=0,debuglevel =0) # Setup Yum Config
File : /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/yum/__init__.py , line 139, in
doConfigSetup
errorlevel=errorlevel)
File : /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/yum/__init__.py , line 189, in
_getConfig
startupconf.pluginconfpath,disabled_plugins,enable d_plugins)
File : /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/yum/__init__.py , line 355, in
doPluginSetup
plugin_types, confpath, disabled_plugins, enabled_plugins)
File : /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/yum/plugins.py , line 152, in __init__
self._importplugins(types)
File : /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/yum/plugins.py , line 195, in
_importplugins
self._loadplugin(modulefile, types)
File : /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/yum/plugins.py , line 251, in
_loadplugin
module = imp.load_module(modname, fp, pathname, description)

I have no idea what is happening but all of this just started right after my last extremely large over 700 mb upgrade. I thought something was a bit unusual about the new packages and such since all the rpms were listed as "newkey" fc9 packages but I accepted that as being just another new thing. Did I do something wrong here?? :confused: :confused:

Anyway, as I experiment by trying to search for yum updates directly, use yumex, or do anything within yum I get the following;
[gary@cpe-001e90626484 ~]$ yum search yum
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/yum", line 29, in <module>
yummain.user_main(sys.argv[1:], exit_code=True)
File "/usr/share/yum-cli/yummain.py", line 229, in user_main
errcode = main(args)
File "/usr/share/yum-cli/yummain.py", line 84, in main
base.getOptionsConfig(args)
File "/usr/share/yum-cli/cli.py", line 184, in getOptionsConfig
enabled_plugins=self.optparser._splitArg(opts.enab leplugins))
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/yum/__init__.py", line 189, in
_getConfig
startupconf.pluginconfpath,disabled_plugins,enable d_plugins)
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/yum/__init__.py", line 355, in
doPluginSetup
plugin_types, confpath, disabled_plugins, enabled_plugins)
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/yum/plugins.py", line 152, in __init__
self._importplugins(types)
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/yum/plugins.py", line 195, in
_importplugins
self._loadplugin(modulefile, types)
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/yum/plugins.py", line 251, in
_loadplugin
module = imp.load_module(modname, fp, pathname, description)
File "/usr/lib/yum-plugins/filter-data.py", line 111
('committers', 'committer')]
^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

Does anyone have any idea what happened? As I said, Fedora appears to be functional, but it does constantly tell me I have that "Internal system error". I am not a programmer of any kind, but while the obvious immediate problem is not being able to upgrade FC9 any further, I assume the error message constantly popping up is telling me the problem is much more severe in some way or the other. :confused: :confused:

Can someone please help? :confused: :( :( :confused:

Demz
13th September 2008, 07:42 AM
Moved to General Support

JohnVV
13th September 2008, 07:45 AM
it looks like PackageKit is having problems
first do a search on the forum for reporting a bug report on PackageKit
and a search for removing PackageKit and installing yumex

Demz
13th September 2008, 07:47 AM
what packageKit version do you have?

gringo057
13th September 2008, 09:19 AM
In fact, there was a packagekit update as well and it was part of the "newkey" group of updated rpms. I can only remember that all the updates had ".newkey" in their listing. As for removing packagekit and installing yumex; I already have YUMEX, but as I tried to explain the entire installation process is dysfunctional. The removal process is most likely also gone, but I will investigate that if someone can tell me how I find out what packagekit I now have.

Anymore ideas, including how I discover what packagekit I have? :confused:

Demz
13th September 2008, 09:26 AM
do this rpm -qa| grep PackageKit

You Should Have 0.2.5-1

gringo057
13th September 2008, 09:37 AM
I did that packagekit error search JohnVV and discovered only one other related post. In fact, I am extra puzzled now because Demz responded to that very similar post with an explanation that YUM was down. The only problem with that is that it was that the packagekit problem post was in August and I updated only a few days ago. So YUM was working then but does not work at all after the update.

However, it is not just YUM. The entire installation system is corrupted.

gringo057
13th September 2008, 09:48 AM
Thanks Demz. The following is what I got. They do not say anything about "newkey", but maybe that is dropped from the name of the rpm when just telling me what I have. On the other hand, there is no packagekit-devel.

$ rpm -qa| grep PackageKit
PackageKit-libs-0.2.5-1.fc9.i386
PackageKit-0.2.5-1.fc9.i386

In any case, I am a little paranoid right now, but do I just attempt to remove both package kit rpms and then see if YUMEX will work? Then if it works, do I allow it to reinstall the packagekit rpms but perhaps also install the packagekit-devel rpm, which I notice is not installed? Of course, is it also possible that the package kit is not in sync with the "newkey" rpms and that is causing the error?

I will wait for your advice.

Demz
13th September 2008, 11:12 AM
well i wonder if you should rebiuild the rpm database .. click the link in my Sig.. it should explain the details of how to do it

thats the correct PackageKit to btw

gringo057
13th September 2008, 10:46 PM
You say I should, "click the link in my Sig.."? OK. Maybe I am even more Linux illiterate than I thought and this is definitely not an attack on your help. I am just totally lost right now!

The only link I noticed that seemed to be related was, "How To Clean RPM DataBase". I went to that web link and it seemed to be talking about FC4. Of course, I attempted the first suggestion and absolutely nothing happened, or at least I noticed nothing. I even rebooted but there was no changes. Forgive me but I am not at all skilled enough to have the intellectual strength to play with databases. OK, call me a coward in this regard. I admit it. lol I just think I already screwed something up and am now extra paranoid, especially since the language in the link appears to be for someone with more programming or at least more database knowledge than I have.

I, nevertheless, then decided to go all out and I removed all the PackageKit apps. I did not have much choice in that maneuver. Fedora stated that I had to remove the yum-packagekit as well as the packagekit-lib, and gnome-packagekit along with packagekit to get rid of any of it. Each was needed by the other. It then gave me a warning that a rebuild of some sort was saved in an /etc file.

I am not getting any Internal System error notices now, but yum, yumex, and all else related to updating or upgrading still does not work. :confused: :confused: On the other hand, I ran kpackage and it showed me all the packages I have and even did an update run. It seemed to show that there were no updates, and did not give an error. On the other hand, I ran "fixup" in kpackage and on the first run it gave what appeared to be an error message that was somehow related to the "smartfix". It seemed to run through about 10 steps that looked like a small programming process and then just sat there.

I waited for about 2 or 3 minutes and then told "fixup" to close. Just a few minutes ago I ran "kpackage" and "fixup" again and that time it said there were no problems. This is strange for my knowledge, but I think kpackage is working, although it does not seem to show that there are any package updates right now. I do not know though if that is true or if that situation is really only because yum and such still do not work.

Anymore suggestions or ideas? I am beginning to think I am just going to have to wait for FD10. What do you think?

sub5pac3
16th September 2008, 12:41 AM
You say I should, "click the link in my Sig.."? OK. Maybe I am even more Linux illiterate than I thought and this is definitely not an attack on your help. I am just totally lost right now!

The only link I noticed that seemed to be related was, "How To Clean RPM DataBase". I went to that web link and it seemed to be talking about FC4. Of course, I attempted the first suggestion and absolutely nothing happened, or at least I noticed nothing. I even rebooted but there was no changes. Forgive me but I am not at all skilled enough to have the intellectual strength to play with databases. OK, call me a coward in this regard. I admit it. lol I just think I already screwed something up and am now extra paranoid, especially since the language in the link appears to be for someone with more programming or at least more database knowledge than I have.

I, nevertheless, then decided to go all out and I removed all the PackageKit apps. I did not have much choice in that maneuver. Fedora stated that I had to remove the yum-packagekit as well as the packagekit-lib, and gnome-packagekit along with packagekit to get rid of any of it. Each was needed by the other. It then gave me a warning that a rebuild of some sort was saved in an /etc file.

I am not getting any Internal System error notices now, but yum, yumex, and all else related to updating or upgrading still does not work. :confused: :confused: On the other hand, I ran kpackage and it showed me all the packages I have and even did an update run. It seemed to show that there were no updates, and did not give an error. On the other hand, I ran "fixup" in kpackage and on the first run it gave what appeared to be an error message that was somehow related to the "smartfix". It seemed to run through about 10 steps that looked like a small programming process and then just sat there.

I waited for about 2 or 3 minutes and then told "fixup" to close. Just a few minutes ago I ran "kpackage" and "fixup" again and that time it said there were no problems. This is strange for my knowledge, but I think kpackage is working, although it does not seem to show that there are any package updates right now. I do not know though if that is true or if that situation is really only because yum and such still do not work.

Anymore suggestions or ideas? I am beginning to think I am just going to have to wait for FD10. What do you think?

I was also having this problem and I found the solution (easy to fix, hard to find). Sudo or su and edit (emacs) /usr/lib/yum-plugins/filter-data.py and then goto line 111 and place a colon at the end of that line. Line 111 should then look like this:
('committers', 'committer')]:

This was obviously some bug that was distributed in the latest update. The problem is that nobody will be able to do any updates to fix it, so they will hopefully find the answer on here or on some other forum.

JohnVV
16th September 2008, 01:49 AM
I knew there was a reason i DON'T have any yum plugins installed

gringo057
16th September 2008, 09:01 AM
I thank you specifically sub5pac3. I am amazed that it was such a simple thing to fix, but having had a past peek into programming allows me to know that such a little mistake can get lost and cause problems. :D No offense, but it just makes me think of Windows! :D At least in here we get help. I truly hope more people see this. Thanks again! :)

BobCottrell
17th September 2008, 01:20 AM
Thank you sub5pac3.

sub5pac3
17th September 2008, 04:51 AM
I thank you specifically sub5pac3. I am amazed that it was such a simple thing to fix, but having had a past peek into programming allows me to know that such a little mistake can get lost and cause problems. :D No offense, but it just makes me think of Windows! :D At least in here we get help. I truly hope more people see this. Thanks again! :)

No problem, I'm glad I could help. One of the things that really obscured this problem is the reverse ordering of the yum error messages -- Traceback (most recent call last)..., which can lead one to look at the wrong things first (I surely spent enough time with that one). I hope they fix this ordering in a future release of yum.

atarisan
17th September 2008, 07:21 AM
Wow, thanks so much for the fix sub5pac3. If only someone could have just run a simple test on that plugin before it went public I just don't see how something that breaks yum funcionality outright could make it into the mainstream update channels.

sub5pac3
17th September 2008, 10:07 AM
Wow, thanks so much for the fix sub5pac3. If only someone could have just run a simple test on that plugin before it went public I just don't see how something that breaks yum funcionality outright could make it into the mainstream update channels.

Well, I can only theorize that it is easily possible for someone to click a button that says "Commit", when they meant to click "Update" on a Subversion or CVS client, and then not realize that they did so (update means download, commit means upload). I'm guessing they tested what they meant to commit. Perhaps they could have caught it and posted the error a little sooner, but this sure beats the pants off of dealing with...BSOD, pay for help, antivirus, spyware, etc. I'll take this any day, and at the worst it will only take a few days for a fix.

gringo057
18th September 2008, 02:46 AM
I agree with you 100% sub5pac3. Now I need to ask you if you might be able to help me with something that just happened. This problem may be more difficult. Of course, it may just be odd for me, but I just did another update which had all newkey rpms and now KDE starts to load and then goes entirely black!

After I force a reboot, Gnome is totally functional but I am disconnected from the Internet and have to reboot again. Upon returning I am still blacked out of KDE and tus have to hard reboot again. As before, I am disconnected from the net and must reboot. In all cases I am getting a totally functional Gnome with a functional Internet but only after rebooting at least twice.

So it appears that the last update did something to the graphics in KDE but not Gnome. I am using a Geforce 8500 video card and the nvidia driver has not been updated with the newkey option by livna yet, but I am not sure if that has anything to do with this problem or not. If it does, it may soon blacken Gnome.

In any case, do you have any idea as to what may be happening or should I place his new problem as another topic?

sub5pac3
18th September 2008, 07:11 AM
I agree with you 100% sub5pac3. Now I need to ask you if you might be able to help me with something that just happened. This problem may be more difficult. Of course, it may just be odd for me, but I just did another update which had all newkey rpms and now KDE starts to load and then goes entirely black!

After I force a reboot, Gnome is totally functional but I am disconnected from the Internet and have to reboot again. Upon returning I am still blacked out of KDE and tus have to hard reboot again. As before, I am disconnected from the net and must reboot. In all cases I am getting a totally functional Gnome with a functional Internet but only after rebooting at least twice.

So it appears that the last update did something to the graphics in KDE but not Gnome. I am using a Geforce 8500 video card and the nvidia driver has not been updated with the newkey option by livna yet, but I am not sure if that has anything to do with this problem or not. If it does, it may soon blacken Gnome.

In any case, do you have any idea as to what may be happening or should I place his new problem as another topic?

I have run into this problem also, and I believe many others have as well. I experienced this a couple of months ago and switched my default over to gnome. I think that this version of KDE on Fedora 9 is really buggy -- I really loved it when it worked, and I'm sure it will be an outstanding upgrade when they work out all of these kinks, but for now I decided to use gnome as the default. However, you can still run many of the nice KDE apps, and even the Konquerer file browser in gnome, just setup links on your desktop or panel. I don't know what caused the problem, but I don't think it's related to this topic, so perhaps this belongs in another thread?

gringo057
18th September 2008, 08:47 AM
Thanks again. I am thinking the same or at least hoping the same. As is, I did just accept things and of course am using Gnome, but I hope they have KDE working better soon. I will just try again when I get another big update of KDE itself.