PDA

View Full Version : Global hotkeys force systemwide

erik2912
12th September 2008, 11:28 AM
Hi,

Is it possible to force global hotkeys in kde to be systemwide.

When i use tsclient, rdesktop or vmware, my global hotkeys dont work anymore. I created hotkeys for switching desktops on my fedora 8 linux laptop, and i wish that they would work no matter what, even when one of those programs is active.

Metsie

erik2912
15th September 2008, 09:37 AM
Can no one help me?

Dangermouse
15th September 2008, 01:08 PM
This may help

su
yum install gconf-editor

in gconf editor
navigate to apps >> metacity >> global_keybindings
enable and assign a key, then
navigate to apps >> metacity >>keybinding_commands
and assign a command

erik2912
15th September 2008, 01:49 PM
Thanx for reply, Dangermouse

But Metacity is GNOME, not KDE.
Also, i installed gconf-editor, started it, and there was already a (good) keybinding for right workspace and left workspace (wich was [ctrl]-[alt]-[->] and [ctrl]-[alt]-[<-]). However it didn't help. The keybindings are working, but not when i use one of the above mentioned programs.

Metsie

Dangermouse
15th September 2008, 01:56 PM
Thanx for reply, Dangermouse

But Metacity is GNOME, not KDE.
Also, i installed gconf-editor, started it, and there was already a (good) keybinding for right workspace and left workspace (wich was [ctrl]-[alt]-[->] and [ctrl]-[alt]-[<-]). However it didn't help. The keybindings are working, but not when i use one of the above mentioned programs.

Metsie

Your quite right, unfortunately i dont use kde, sorry i wasnt any help

Dangermouse
15th September 2008, 02:07 PM
I just fired up my kde live disc, if you look under system settings >>regional and language>> keyboard layout >> click on enable keyboard layout, then on the switching options tab, and you should be able to change them there under global, with a bit of luck.
Kde is not my thing but i think that should do it.

erik2912
15th September 2008, 02:15 PM
This is the way I set my key bindings, so that does the job indeed, only not when I use one of the programs mentioned above.
The problem with these programs is that they "grab" mouse and keyboard. When i use those, I'd have to restore my window to a smaller size (not fullscreen anymore), make that window inactive (by selecting another window or the desktop) and when i did that, my key bindings do work.
So to make this complicated, I have global key bindings, but i want to force them to be more global then they originally are.