PDA

View Full Version : Installing Programs/Yum

Aizawa
30th August 2008, 12:04 AM
Hi. I'm all-new to linux, and installed fedora 9 yesterday. Today I was going to try to install ndiswrapper, though not much later I realized that I probably need more experience with how things work in linux.

If someone could explain to me, as if I was a newborn baby, how to install simple programs like adobe flash, I would be most grateful. As many details as possibly, i.e, not just "do this", but why do this!

Also, how does "yum" work? I figured I typed "yum install program", but nothing I want to download works.

And please explain manual installations as well as.. more automatic installations. If possible I would be very happy if you didn't link me to some how-to, unless it is very clear and helpful, since, well, I guess I'm sort of slow when it comes to these things, sometimes. Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Also, I need a graphics driver for my ATI Radeon 9550 (Old, I know), where can I get that, and how do I install it?

Nokia
30th August 2008, 12:16 AM
In a terminal do
su -
setenforce 0
yum update yum* && yum install yumex && rpm -Uvh http://rpm.livna.net/livna-release-9.rpm && yum update --enablerepo=updates-testing --skip-broken && touch /.autorelabel && reboot

Aizawa
30th August 2008, 12:17 AM
Um.. Okay. I'll do that.

Jman
30th August 2008, 05:57 AM
Uh, what?

http://fedorasolved.org/flash/ is how one installs flash.

It needs nspluginwrapper (not ndiswrapper) on x86_64 because the Flash plugin itself is 32 bit. And libflashsupport to make sound work.

Aizawa
30th August 2008, 11:28 AM
Yeah, well, I just yum'd it. I dunno what he meant by that, other then that the command he gave me updated "yum".

glennzo
30th August 2008, 11:40 AM
Aizawa, that line is several commands on one line run one after the other. Broken down as best I can...

yum update yum*Updates the program yum.

yum install yumexInstalls the graphical front end to yum. You'll find that in the menu system under Applications > System Tools > Yumex

rpm -Uvh http://rpm.livna.net/livna-release-9.rpmInstalls the Livna software repository for third party software packages. Probably the most used repository for Fedora users. Should also run these 2 commands when you install Livna.

sudo rpm --import /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/*
sudo rpm --import /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-livna

yum update --enablerepo=updates-testingCommand to update the system. At the same time one would be enabling the updates-testing repository, which is normally disabled.

--skip-brokenSkip broken packages. Maybe someone could elaborate a little more on this.

touch /.autorelabelNokia made this command up off the top of his head :rolleyes:

rebootYou can figure this one out I'm sure.

Nokia
30th August 2008, 01:35 PM
--skip-broken is for a stray bluez package in updates-testing that has missing deps. It will get fixed once everything comes back to normal, but for the moment this is a requirement for anyone upgrading from updates-testing.

&& The double ampersand executes the next command ONLY IF the previous one ended successfully - otherwise aborts execution. Only one ampersand would have executed the next command REGARDLESS of the exit status of the last one, and that would have been wrong !

About the key import, I'm not sure if it isn't done automatically. The last F9 installed a few days ago didn't complain about any key after installing livna-release.

marcrblevins
30th August 2008, 07:20 PM
Nokia,
I noticed most of your yum responses, you are telling them to:

setenforce 0

Why? Yum and Selinux doesn't work with each others. Just asking.

Nokia
30th August 2008, 08:15 PM
Selinux might prevent some updates to be applied correctly. When dealing with a big upgrade, such as installing F8 or even F9 today and performing a full update, Enforcing state might not be the best idea. That's what I was told anyway. Don't forget you might perform updates on selinux packages also, meaning there are also bugs to be fixed.

marcrblevins
30th August 2008, 08:38 PM
Well, mine been the default for Selinux since whenever they implemented it, Fedora Core 6? I never had yum issue with Selinux. Thanks for sharing.