PDA

View Full Version : Problem with external HD

edszr
27th August 2008, 08:00 PM
Hi all,

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere...I searched, but couldn't find exactly the problem I'm seeing.

I'm running FC8 and I'm trying to hook up a hard drive via my HD enclosure. When I plug the thing in to my usb 2.0 hub, the light on the enclosure stays red and I see this in dmesg:

usb 1-1.4: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 6
usb 1-1.4: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
scsi7 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
usb 1-1.4: New USB device found, idVendor=0c0b, idProduct=b311
usb 1-1.4: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
usb 1-1.4: Product: Ultra Disk Drive
usb 1-1.4: Manufacturer: DMI
usb 1-1.4: SerialNumber: 0606070007A9
usb-storage: device found at 6
usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
usb-storage: device scan complete
usb 1-1.4: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 6

hardware lister shows this:

Generic USB device
/0/100/b.2/1/1/4

product: Ultra Disk Drive
vendor: DMI
bus info: usb@1:1.4
version: 1.21
serial: 0606070007A9
capabilities:
USB 2.0
configuration:
maxpower: 2mA
speed: 480.0MB/s
this device hasn't been claimed

I'd like to use fdisk to get over there and format this drive. The drive did come from another computer and was working ok over there. Also, gparted does not list this drive in its contents....any idea what I can try to be able to format this HD?

thanks in advance,
Ed

ryptyde
27th August 2008, 10:56 PM
If the hard drive is in the "raw" state you may have to use the disk manufacturers disk utility to format it.

A.Serbinski
28th August 2008, 01:51 AM
Forget about any utilities from the disk manufacturer. Without exception they are all totally useless and won't even run on a non-ms system.

If the disk is blank, you need to create a partition (/sbin/fdisk /dev/whatever) and format that partition (/sbin/mkfs.ext3 /dev/whatever1).

edszr
28th August 2008, 03:35 AM
Thanks for the help guys...the disk isn't blank...I had it in another machine that was a dual boot Windoze XP and FC7. I'd like to just wipe the HD out and start from scratch with it, but I can't even get FC8 to see it in a way that lets me do that....

A.Serbinski
28th August 2008, 03:37 AM
After you plug it in (or turn it on), check the bottom of the output from the command "dmesg". This should tell you what the kernel is doing with the hardware.

melloe
28th August 2008, 10:58 PM
With respect,
the mfr software does not run from an OS, but boots into DR DOS and is actually OS irrelevant, although will only format NTFS or FAT32. That is not problem as I always let the OS format its own place in any case.

I almost always use the mfr CD if the whole drive is to be formatted and I plan to have multiple partitions. Most other methods with multiple partitions run into primary problems because they are not set up to do multiple partitions. less than 4 qparted or most OS will handle, but one can get the "you can only have 4 primary message if you screw up trying to resize a partition with some.

OOPS: I got to thinking about it. Some mfr CD's also offer FAT16 or EXT, but I never use them as I don't trust any software to do the OS partitions, and do the drive in NTFS or FAT, and let the OS do its place with its partitioning tools. 1 primary, and the rest logical. That leaves 3 possible primary for any OS that needs one ( very few any more )

edszr
29th August 2008, 12:12 AM
After you plug it in (or turn it on), check the bottom of the output from the command "dmesg". This should tell you what the kernel is doing with the hardware.

Here's what dmesg gets when I switch on the enclosure:

Installing knfsd (copyright (C) 1996 okir@monad.swb.de).
SELinux: initialized (dev nfsd, type nfsd), uses genfs_contexts
NFSD: Using /var/lib/nfs/v4recovery as the NFSv4 state recovery directory
NFSD: starting 90-second grace period
SELinux: initialized (dev sdd1, type fuseblk), uses genfs_contexts
usb 1-1.4: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 5
usb 1-1.4: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
scsi6 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
usb 1-1.4: New USB device found, idVendor=0c0b, idProduct=b311
usb 1-1.4: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
usb 1-1.4: Product: Ultra Disk Drive
usb 1-1.4: Manufacturer: DMI
usb 1-1.4: SerialNumber: 0606070007A9
usb-storage: device found at 5
usb 1-1.4: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 5
usb 1-1.4: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 5

edszr
30th August 2008, 05:46 AM
So I was able to format the HD by hooking it up directly to my Windoze box. I formatted the whole disk as NTFS and it formatted fine, but when I put it back in the enclosure and hook it up to my FC8 box, I'm getting the same problem...I can't get FC8 to see this drive in a way that I can mount and use it. dmesg shows this when I switch on the enclosure:

usb 1-3: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 7
usb 1-3: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
scsi9 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
usb 1-3: New USB device found, idVendor=0c0b, idProduct=b311
usb 1-3: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
usb 1-3: Product: Ultra Disk Drive
usb 1-3: Manufacturer: DMI
usb 1-3: SerialNumber: 0606070007A9
usb-storage: device found at 7
usb 1-3: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 7

melloe
30th August 2008, 10:30 AM
I know it is a dumb question, but do you have the OS set up to RW,,or even mount NTFS?

edszr
30th August 2008, 09:35 PM
Well, I have 3 hard drives in the machine and 1 of them is formatted as ntfs-3g. I also have an external hard drive formatted as ntfs-3g...

Something different happened this morning though...I turned on the HD enclosure first and then turned my computer on and FC8 couldn't mount the external HD for some reason...it's like it was conflicting with the enclosure HD. So I turned off the enclosure and typed "mount -a" and the external HD mounted as it usually does....weird..

edszr
30th August 2008, 09:50 PM
I guess I would hope that FC8 would simply see a new HD and assign it /dev/sde1. If I try to mount sde1, I get

ntfs-3g: Failed to access volume '/dev/sde1': No such file or directory

ryptyde
31st August 2008, 12:11 AM
Have you tried NTFS Configuration Tool, I think it is listed as "ntfs-config" in the repo and it may be useful for write support. You should be able to run as regular user "/sbin/lsusb" with the usb drive plugged in and see its drive assignment.

ps: If you used Windows to format the drive to ntfs and did it while it was in the usb enclosure hopefully you unmounted it first before shutting off/removing the enclosure from Windows. If not you may have to hook it back up to the Windows box and shut it down/unmount it properly. I have had it happen to me a couple of times.

edszr
31st August 2008, 02:04 AM
ryp,

Thanks for your reply...I did format the drive on a Windows box, but it was not in the enclosure ;) I did check "ntfs-config" and the drive isn't listed there. lsusb gets:

Bus 001 Device 007: ID 0c0b:b311 Dura Micro, Inc. (Acomdata)

So it's there, but for some reason I can't get to it.....

ryptyde
31st August 2008, 02:31 AM
If you run "df -h" does it show up there?

edszr
31st August 2008, 03:02 AM
Nope, it sure doesn't...

melloe
31st August 2008, 03:18 AM
I never did get NTFS R or RW with FC 8.
Just though I would ask.
Figured I had screwed up somewhere and used Mint or XP

edszr
31st August 2008, 09:29 PM
So I think I got it figured out....The drive had no jumper settings at all...Out of desperation, I used a jumper to set it as master and FC8 saw it right away :):)

Now, the partitions are kinda screwed up, but at least I can work with the drive now.

thanks all for your help/suggestions.

Ed