PDA

View Full Version : how to arrange the desktop icons in XFCE

arshad3m
27th August 2008, 04:10 PM
hai guys,
i recently shifted into XFCE from Gnome.
but here i couldnt figure out how to refresh the desktops or how to arrange the desktop icons. if i drag an icon to somewhere else in the desktop and want it back as alligned as before i couldnt do this.

please i neeed your help here.

thanks in advance :)

PabloTwo
27th August 2008, 04:41 PM
XFCE4 does not have (to my knowledge) a clickable "align icons" function. Instead, it uses a grid of invisible boxes on the desktop which you can either click and drag icons 'into' or 'out of'. When you relocate a desktop icon by click and drag, you should momentarily see the outline of the grid box, which the icon will automatically center into.

If you want you're icons all in a row, or rows, you have to manually move them to where you want them. The icon "size" determines how many rows and colums of icon positions you can have on your desktop. Smaller icon sizes allow for more rows and colums, larger, less.

System > Settings > Desktop Settings > Behavior to get to the icon sizing function. The desktop icon positions are configured (stored) in ~/.config/xfce4/desktop/icons.screen0.rc

arshad3m
27th August 2008, 05:18 PM
thank you very much. i got it.
and if you dont mind could i go little bit away from the topic?
i want to change my windows color in xfce. i am using compiz.

:)

PabloTwo
27th August 2008, 06:14 PM
i want to change my windows color in xfce. i am using compiz.
Do you mean the windows "border" color, or the colors of the content inside an open window?
Are you using just "compiz", or have you installed and are using the "compiz-fusion" package?

I have compiz-fusion installed and 'compiz' is my selected 'Window Manager'. The other choices are 'Metacity' and 'Xfwm4'.

As part of the compiz-fusion install, I have the 'emerald' window decorator installed and that is what I am currently using. The other choice there is 'GTK Window Decorator'.

It is the Window Decorator you use that determines the characteristics of the Window Border (title bar and border frame, buttons and button style, colors, shadows, etc.). You use your Window Decorator to choose which 'window decoration' you want. If you do not have compiz-fusion and emerald installed, then you would use, from the main menu: Settings > Window Manager Settings
to select from your installed window decorations. Thousands are available for download on the internet.

Because I am using compiz-fusion and 'emerald' is my active window decorator, that menu item is disabled on my system (instead, I right click the compiz-fusion icon in the systray and select my options from there).

Understand that the window borders are separate from themes. But, of course, one finds and chooses a window border that matches or compliments whatever 'theme' one is using. In my case, my 'theme' is 'pPolyCarbonate Dark One' (a GTK+ theme) and my window border is a modified emearld 'frame'.

The 'theme' you use will determine what color scheme appears in the content of the window. The third item that is selectable in your overall theme is your icon set. To change color(s) of an existing theme or window border, you'd have to find the configuration file (each type uses a different format), and edit that file, such as for an 'emerald' window border. But others, like a GTK+ theme, have their colors set in graphics files, which doesn't lend itself for easy editing (unless you're a whiz with Gimp).

arshad3m
27th August 2008, 06:52 PM
hallo PabloTwo,
thank you very much for your info.
I have compiz-fusion installed and 'compiz' is my selected 'Window Manager'
and the windows decorator is GTK Window Decorator. as for me i dont like that emerald decorator. :(
the main reason why i hate that decorater is, i dont have the feature of nice effect i get when minimizing and maximising windows in gtk. i think you have experienced it urself. besides that i tried to explore the new things in the xfce windows manager. but it wont allow me to access it saying the current window manger dont support it. and i wonder how to disable it. i stopped compiz in autostarted services and restarted the xserver only to find the screen in a odd state. and still to be unable to access the windows manager. :(

PabloTwo
27th August 2008, 07:10 PM
You can select which 'window manager' you want active from the compiz-fusion right-click menu. Or you could also try:

xfwm4 --replace

I didn't care to test that on my system.

arshad3m
27th August 2008, 07:19 PM
ok i selected xfwm4 from compiz window manager menu. but still cant access the 'windows manger tweeks' by right cliking on the desktop and setting it still gives me the following error
http://i34.tinypic.com/25yx5ky.png

:)

arshad3m
27th August 2008, 07:23 PM
hai PabloTwo,
its ok now. i restared the xserver and now i can access the windows manger tweeks and alll.
thaaaaaankkkkkkkksssssss a looottttttt :)
:D

arshad3m
27th August 2008, 07:28 PM
sorry man.but the window color is still blue. i couldnt find a place where i can change it... :mad:

PabloTwo
27th August 2008, 08:58 PM
You don't just 'change the color' in the xfwm4 program, you select another window border to use that might offer a color or colors that you prefer. But that said...

I found that on my F8/XFCE install, before I installed compiz-fusion and emerald, though there were many many many window borders to choose from with the xfwm4 program, almost all of them had some sort of blue colored theme. I was using the 'retro' border while still using xfwm4. I ended up deleting most of them and loading up on new GTK+ and emerald themes that better suit my taste.

You can go to http://www.xfce-look.org and click on the Themes, then click on Xfce, and you can browse the many offerings and perhaps find several that offer color schemes that you might like and that aren't blue.