PDA

View Full Version : Dell wireless 1395 help

Kash
27th August 2008, 06:18 AM
Hello I am new to Fedora. I took a class on in and have decided to stay with it as my main system. I just installed it on my dell inspiron 1525 and I can't get the wifi to work. I have a dell wireless 1395 wlan mini-card. I tried a few things but i'm really lost. I got an A in the class but I have never executed a build. It was an intro class. If someone could give me a step by step guide to get this thing going I would really appreciate it.
thanks Kash

bbfuller
27th August 2008, 10:05 AM
Hello Kash

I'm not familiar with the Dell model numbers, but if you run the command:

/sbin/lspci

from a command prompt it should give us more information about your card that we can work on.

Give it a try and post back the output that relates to "network" and "ethernet" devices.

Nokia
27th August 2008, 10:10 AM
Dell's 1525 is on Intel gear afaik, so it should work "out of the box" Do a yum update first just to make sure you have the latest packages available for your version.

Kash
28th August 2008, 05:09 AM
here is the output from the code you gave me.
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile PM965/GM965/GL960 Memory Controller Hub (rev 0c)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0c)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0c)
00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02)
00:1a.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #5 (rev 02)
00:1a.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 02)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 02)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (rev 02)
00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 5 (rev 02)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev f2)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801HEM (ICH8M) LPC Interface Controller(rev 02)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801HBM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E) IDE Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 82801HBM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E) SATA AHCI Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 02)
02:09.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Ricoh Co Ltd R5C832 IEEE 1394 Controller (rev 05)
02:09.1 SD Host controller: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C822 SD/SDIO/MMC/MS/MSPro Host Adapter (rev 22)
02:09.2 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C843 MMC Host Controller (rev 12)
02:09.3 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C592 Memory Stick Bus Host Adapter (rev 12)
02:09.4 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd xD-Picture Card Controller (rev ff)
09:00.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88E8040 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller (rev 12)
0b:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4310 USB Controller (rev 01)

Kash
28th August 2008, 06:46 AM
please help me out guys i dont want to have to switch i like fedora. i can't get ndiswrapper installed either.. i have been trying that solution as well. i really need a step by step guide to do this.

Nokia
28th August 2008, 07:47 AM
Fedora 9 is it ?

bbfuller
28th August 2008, 09:48 AM
Hello Kash

That line:

0b:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4310 USB Controller (rev 01)

tells us that your card is a broadcom 4310 and that it will not work with the built in b43 driver. The b43 does not support the 4310 yet, though that may change in the future. You will have to follow the ndiswrapper route for your card.

The notes below deal with doing that. Don't be put off by their length. It's really a few simple steps but the notes have to explain every detail.

Ndiswrapper, as it's name implies is a way of wrapping some Linux code around a windows driver to make it work in Linux.

Ndiswrapper will not work with Windows Vista drivers. It is also not happy with every version of a driver for every chipset. If the one that came with your card doesn't work it may be necessary to experiment with other manufacturers drivers that were made for the particular chipset.

The parts of the windows driver file that you are looking for are the .inf file and the matching .sys file.

For instance in my case when I used ndiswrapper for my broadcom card, there was a 'bcmwl5.inf' file in the driver along with a bcmwl5.sys. Other manufacturers will use different file names.

Acquire full root rights with:

su -

That's a space and a minus sign after the su. It gives full root rights over the machine, not just over your own environment which is what you get with plain su.

If you haven't already, install the Livna repository:

rpm -i http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release-9.rpm

Install ndiswrapper:

yum install kmod-ndiswrapper

should bring in the three relevant packages.

Then set up and configure ndiswrapper with:

ndiswrapper -i <path to your windows driver file>.inf

should install the driver,

ndiswrapper -l

if it is going to work should return "driver present" and "hardware present"

modprobe ndiswrapper

should load the driver into the kernel, but probably only until you reboot.

If you are lucky now and NetworkManager is running then after a short while it 'may' begin reporting wireless networks. NetworkManager is the preferred method of connecting to wireless networks with Fedora and should be located on the top Gnome Panel to the right in the notification area.

If it works, or indeed if it doesn't you will also need to run:

ndiswrapper -ma

and then edit the file:

/etc/modprobe.conf

as root and add the line:

alias wlan0 ndiswrapper

to it.

{Editing modprobe.conf should only be applicable to Fedora 8. In many instances Fedora 9 doesn't even have the file. If NetworkManager doesn't recognise your card you may need to create the modprobe.conf file in 9}

Reboot and try connecting again.

Just a couple of points.

Don't try using a Windows Vista driver for this. Ndiswrapper doesn't like Vista drivers yet. Use the Windows XP one.

Somewhere I've got a note of a driver that can be downloaded that works with ndiswrapper and I'll look it up and post an addendum to this post in a while.

Post back with any questions or problems.

EDIT:

Hello Kash, Here's the link to a driver that has worked in the past with a 4310:

http://ftp.us.dell.com/network/Dell_multi-device_A17_R174291.exe

If you need to use it then put it into a folder somewhere, from the command line 'cd' into that folder and use the command:

unzip -a Dell_multi-device_A17_R174291.exe -d driver/

In the new driver folder you will see subfolders for Japan, US and Rest of World. In those should be the bcmwl5.inf and .sys files that you require.

Kash
28th August 2008, 04:32 PM
yes it is core 9. Thank you i'll try it out tonight if i have any questions which i'm sure i will i will post tonight

Kash
29th August 2008, 04:15 AM
I GOT IT thanks guys i followed your guide bbfuller and i appreciate it. I have some questions because i like to know what goes on behind the scenes. When i'm in root it never asked me for my network password for my router but when in as me it asked like it would if I was using windows. both me and root work. i just fouund it weird root didnt need one. I also wanted to know if you can explain what the steps after i install ndiswrapper actually do. thanks again guys. people say linux doesn't have any support or documentation for the os. its crap there is a great community of people here to help.
thanks
kash

abhishek_shukla
29th August 2008, 08:31 AM
did kash have any other OS on his laptop except FC9
was it windows XP or vista

bbfuller
29th August 2008, 10:06 AM
Hello Kash

I can't tell you why you were able to access your router without password, it certainly doesn't happen here. Except that my router does remember when I've been logged in and if I try to access it again within a certain time period I don't get asked for the password.

As to the ndiswrapper commands, well:

'ndiswrapper -i' extracts the parts ndiswrapper needs from your windows driver and puts it in the directory /etc/ndiswrapper.

'ndiswrapper -l' tests the driver against your hardware.

'modprobe ndiswrapper' loads the ndiswrapper module, but only for that time.

'ndiswrapper -ma' makes the ndiswrapper module load each time the machine is booted.

The final part of the notes is becoming obsolete as it is not necessary with Fedora 9.

For any more in depth knowledge I recommend you look at the ndiswrapper site here:

http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/joomla/