PDA

View Full Version : Fedora 9 on AMD turion 64

mandecom
25th August 2008, 08:08 PM
Hello,
I have fedora core 9 installed on AMD turion 64 processor.
I have loaded i386 on my machine.
It works fine when computer is cool. but after 6 to 7 hours it becomes hot and hangs up.
my machine doesn't become that much hot in windows. it works smoothly in windows but fedora crashes as machine becomes hot.

please tell me what to do so that fedora will also work smoothly....

ivancat
25th August 2008, 08:13 PM
hmm, first of all, why have you installed i386, not x86_64?

second, what makes you think it hangs because of overheating?
AFAIK if you've got an overheating you're notified about it by your PC Speaker (series of beeps) and then the machine just switches off, not hangs.

bbfuller
25th August 2008, 08:17 PM
Hello mandecom

I have the i386 fedora 9 installed on a turion 64 laptop and it exhibits no signs of overheating.

Were I you, I would install something like 'gkrellm' from the repositories and monitor the temperature for a while.

Are your fans under some sort of control, like a laptop, or is it an ordinary desktop machine?

mandecom
25th August 2008, 08:18 PM
first i installed x86_64 only but in that my machine was getting hot too much and too shortly with in few mins.
then i loaded i386.
i think its due to overheating because in windows this happens, that time my systems pauses for few seconds and starts working again.
in fedora also, my system pauses after a long time but it never comes back. In x86_64 also this was happening, system was getting paused but it was coming back soon in few min.

mandecom
25th August 2008, 08:20 PM
i have a laptop.
and my fans are working properly.
i will try to monitor temprature if it supports.
well what should be the threhold for that.
and where can i find that software u mentioned?

bbfuller
25th August 2008, 08:23 PM
Hello mandecom

yum install gkrellm

should do it, it's in the main repositories.

I haven't got it on my laptop at the moment, but I'll put it on now and monitor. When the temperature has stabilised I'll post back.

mandecom
25th August 2008, 08:45 PM
i have installed it on my laptop.
and currently it is showing 4 tempratures there. all are above 50 degree celcius.
is it shoud be the case? or is there any other problem?

Dangermouse
25th August 2008, 09:38 PM
Hi
just a note on my experience with turions, is that they do tend to run hot and are very easilly overheated , and that the fans are not capable enough of cooling the cpu, if the cpu is
running max for long periods of time,(ie video conversion etc) hence it has cost me two cpu's :rolleyes:
So my humble advice is dont leave your laptop running unatended doing heavy cpu stuff, and make sure the vents are all clear, well that has been my experience with turion processors, maybe i was just unlucky :rolleyes:

bbfuller
25th August 2008, 10:18 PM
Hello mandecom

I have five temperatures on mine.

Temp 1 26
TZ1 33
TZ2 34
TZ3 25
TZ4 50

Temp 1 is identified as being the actual processor. Certainly if I get the machine to do anything like play a part screen flash movie then the processor temperature rises quickly to the mid 30's

I remember that in previous Fedora's, for my particular laptop fan control didn't work as well as it does on F9 and it would get well over 50 before the fan cut in and bought the temperature down to 30-ish.

I'd be quite concerned that your temperatures are too high and would consider getting hold of some temperature monitoring software for Windows to compare how it behaves there. It appears here:

http://www.websightdesigns.com/viewtutorial.php?tutorial=gkrellm

that there is a way to get gkrellm running on Windows but there must be something that is native to the platform and easier to install.

It's surprising though that a Linux machine at rest should get that much hotter than at rest in Windows. You say that the fans are running, can you feel air being pushed out of the vents? Does it feel that much less air, or is it hotter than in Windows?

I suspect that you will have seen the CPU activity monitor on gkrellm, my processor runs at just a few percent at rest, is your processor actually working hard to generate this much heat?

bbfuller
25th August 2008, 11:07 PM
I can also say that with the processor working at 90% for a period of time the temperatures went to:

without the laptop showing any signs of distress or the vented airstream feeling uncomfortably hot.

A.Serbinski
26th August 2008, 01:11 AM
Get a can of compressed air and clean out the cooling fins. Most laptops are very easily plugged up with dust.

mandecom
26th August 2008, 04:14 PM
well, i dont think that the valves are blocked else my windows also will get hang.
i checked processor temprature only. in normal case that is when i start my laptop after a long off and check the temprature, it was in 45 degree. and still it was getting hanged.
so temprature may or may not be the problem. so what to do now on it?
shall i try fedora older versions like 8? will it work fine? any idea?

ivancat
26th August 2008, 04:19 PM
just a guess, that could be your video card causing problems, I myself, had experience (on a desktop, not laptop, running windows) with an ati video card when it just stopped responding -> system hanged, then it was immediately restarted by the driver (there was an option in catalyst to restart if not responding).

i think its due to overheating because in windows this happens, that time my systems pauses for few seconds and starts working again.
that sounds like what I described above in this post. Though it's no more than a guess

mandecom
26th August 2008, 04:37 PM
i checked my cpu tempratures in windows too.
its 45 degree celcius.
as it is same as in fedora.
Surely temprature is not the problem then.
please comment.

venumus
4th September 2008, 06:25 PM
this happens to me when i run wow for too long and the vents arnt open

mandecom
6th September 2008, 10:54 AM
i have observed one thing that old fedora kernels heats up the AMD systems a lot and quickly.
where windows looks for the cpu temperature and controls the cpu frequency accordingly.
if u manually select 800 MHz then system doesn't heat much.
but the systems hangs as it was......
can any one tell me how to install kernel in fedora.
there is latest kernel available on http://kernel.org which is far more advance which we get in fedora 9 updates. if that new kernel can be fixed up probably that problem can get resolved.

Hlingler
6th September 2008, 12:30 PM
If you've got a laptop with CPU speed stepping, then try installing package cpuspeed and set it up to regulate the CPU speed for you.

V