PDA

View Full Version : CDRW's for install disks

King Big Ben
17th May 2004, 12:12 AM
Hey everyone, first post, anyway...
I first used these cdrw's (office depot 700mb/80min 1x-4x) for RH9 back when it came out and they worked fine
I tried putting Fedora Core 1 on them and then it refused to boot from them. I tried reburning them multiple times with TAO and DAO selected and with finilize selected and not. I burned them with Ahead Nero in XP. I tried just wiping them regularly and completely wiping off all the media from the cds and still no change. I burned them on regular cdr's and they booted up and installed fine.
Anyway, I don't really feel like wasting 3 cd's with every new release...so is there something I'm doing wrong or does my computer just not like booting from used cdrw's?

s0lus
17th May 2004, 12:31 AM
I feel the same way about wasting cds for every new distro, however, for Fedora i did not use a CDRW.. i have had no problem booting and installing from a CDRW for other distros...

are u sure that you are 'completely' wiping the contents of the cd?

has the CDRW been used a lot before?

remember, the Fedora is still in the test stages...well that is until the 18th :) maybe these tests have a problem booting from CDRW media...

Jman
17th May 2004, 01:15 AM
I don't use CDRW much, I burn to CDRs. It may have something to do with how reflective a CDRW is after it is erased a couple times.

mark
17th May 2004, 02:35 AM
I used CD-RWs for FC2 Test 3, no problems. Currently have both Memorex & HP RWs. I did make sure that they are "High Speed" rated, as that's what's specified for the drive in my laptop.

Oh, yeah - blanked & burned 'em with Xcdroast from my FC1 install.

King Big Ben
19th May 2004, 12:56 AM
The only time i used the cds before was to install rh9
so theyre pretty new
and i did completely wipe the contents from them

Bana
19th May 2004, 01:07 AM
Try only using the 5 meg boot.iso (you can find it in the images folder) and burning that to a CDRW, has worked for all FC2 tests and final. (then just install off of partition or network. (that way you only have to clear and burn 1 CDRW :p )

King Big Ben
19th May 2004, 07:43 PM
how does that work?
does it install from the internet or from the fedora iso's on my hard drive?

ghaefb
19th May 2004, 08:28 PM
I user CD-RW for Fedora test1,2,3..
For final release I burned some good CD-Rs :)

Ned
20th May 2004, 12:04 AM
Are you trying to install from CD-RW from a CD-RW drive?

Originally posted by Jman
I don't use CDRW much, I burn to CDRs. It may have something to do with how reflective a CDRW is after it is erased a couple times.

I think you hit the nail on the head :)

I had problems using CD-RW's that were burnt on my desktop (they passed the mediacheck on the drive they we're burnt on) when installing on my laptop (not a CD-RW drive, just a DVD/CD reader).

The drive had real trouble reading the disks, very slow and sounded like it was reading the same bit over and over. They failed the mediacheck after 2%.

Ned

Finalzone
20th May 2004, 12:32 AM
I used to have problem with CD-RW until I cleaned them using a T-Shirt. Maybe a dust on the surface cause that prblem.
All Fedora Core 2 installation were done with the same CD-RW except bootrescue disk which is on CD-R.