PDA

View Full Version : F9, conky and kde4.1.

chepioq
22nd August 2008, 05:56 AM
Hello...
You know (or not) that in F8, to have conky transparent you must use feh and dcop.
But in F9 (kde4.1) dbus replace dcop and I don't know how replace dcop by dbus;
But I have a solution with inotify;
1) install feh and inotify-tools

yum install feh inotify-tools
2) create a script in ~/.kde/Autostart

#!/bin/bash
feh --bg-scale "`grep 'wallpaper=' ~/.kde/share/config/plasma-appletsrc | tail --bytes=+11`"
conky -c .conkyrc/.conkyrc1 &
while inotifywait ~/.kde/share/config/plasma-appletsrc; do
feh --bg-scale "`grep 'wallpaper=' ~/.kde/share/config/plasma-appletsrc | tail --bytes=+11`"
done

Give it executable and it's all
When you change your wallpaper , new one appear after ~30 seconde but it is the normal way of kde4.1

ozjd
28th August 2008, 06:47 AM
Hello...
You know (or not) that in F8, to have conky transparent you must use feh and dcop.

I didn't know that and was wondering why it didn't work. Following your comment I did some more research and decided to add links here, if you don't mind, so anyone else still using F8 can find a solution.
I followed http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Conky Just remember it is for Arch so make adjustment eg. use yum to install anything not pacman. The least obvious change is that the autostart directory is in ~/.kde/Autostart not not ~/.kde/share/autostart. You need an image selected for the wallpaper too. If, like me, you had no wallpaper selected it doesn't work.

chepioq
28th August 2008, 01:52 PM
@ozjd
This little tuto is only for Kde 4.1
On my F8 with Kde 3 "feh --bg-scale `dcop kdesktop KBackgroundIface currentWallpaper 1`" work well.

ozjd
14th February 2009, 05:47 AM
Is anyone having a problem with this in KDE 4.2?

Worked fine for me in 4.1 but on a newly installed system that was updated to 4.2 before Conky was installed it isn't working. I am getting the default Solar wallpaper as background of Conky even when I change to another.

chepioq
14th February 2009, 08:14 AM
Hello
I have also this problem when I have installed Kde 4.2
The solution is:
remove (or rename in plasma-appletsrc.old) /home/your_user/.kde/share/config/plasma-appletsrc
and re login;
If don't work rename your home/your_user/.kde in home/your_user/.kde.old and re-login
In this case you lose your configuration of Kde

ozjd
14th February 2009, 11:02 PM
Hello
I have also this problem when I have installed Kde 4.2
The solution is:
remove (or rename in plasma-appletsrc.old) /home/your_user/.kde/share/config/plasma-appletsrc
and re login;
If don't work rename your home/your_user/.kde in home/your_user/.kde.old and re-login
In this case you lose your configuration of Kde

OK this is weird. Tried first method, no change after a few minutes. So tried the second, yes lost the setup except for the wallpaper I had selected. No change so reinstated my original .kde folder. Restarted x and it all worked. I don't understand but I'm not complaining:D

Thanks for the reply.

ozjd
26th August 2009, 11:29 PM
An update for KDE 4.3 F11. Found the wallpaper wasn't visible behind conky had to change the script as follows.

#!/bin/bash
feh --bg-scale "`grep 'wallpaper=' ~/.kde/share/config/plasma-desktop-appletsrc | tail --bytes=+11`"
while inotifywait ~/.kde/share/config/plasma-appletsrc; do
feh --bg-scale "`grep 'wallpaper=' ~/.kde/share/config/plasma-desktop-appletsrc | tail --bytes=+11`"
done

chepioq
27th August 2009, 05:33 AM
Sorry; I made a mistake.
The good sript is
#!/bin/bash
while inotifywait ~/.kde/share/config/plasma-desktop-appletsrc; do
done

ozjd
27th August 2009, 07:23 AM
Sorry; I made a mistake.

I don't think it was a mistake originally as it worked until the update to 4.3.

scotta
1st September 2009, 03:13 AM
Even with the above script change my conky was still not using the wallpaper for pseudo transparency.

After some investigation it turned out that I had two "wallpaper=" entries in plasma-desktop-appletsrc. grep was returning both.

Simple solution was to rename the first "wallpaper=" to something else and all was happy again ;-)

Scott