PDA

View Full Version : Scared to install - Operating System Not Found

tdsmapper
22nd August 2008, 01:41 AM
Hello!

I have been a user of Fedora since the FC2 days.

I got a new HP DV6928US laptop, preloaded with Vista, and a recovery partition. This is my first laptop.

I put in the Fedora 8 DVD to try and install. In the start up screen of Fedora DVD installer, I selected "Boot from local drive". I got a black screen with a line saying "Operating System Not Found".

Now, I am very concerned about GRUB/LILO being a mess after installation, and letting me boot only into Fedora. If Fedora couldn't see the OS during the boot from local drive option, whats the possibility that GRUB will work correctly with it?

Could someone offer me some advice on whether GRUB would work without a problem if I go ahead and install?

joe.pelayo
22nd August 2008, 02:05 AM
Hello!

I have been a user of Fedora since the FC2 days.

I got a new HP DV6928US laptop, preloaded with Vista, and a recovery partition. This is my first laptop.

I put in the Fedora 8 DVD to try and install. In the start up screen of Fedora DVD installer, I selected "Boot from local drive". I got a black screen with a line saying "Operating System Not Found".

Now, I am very concerned about GRUB/LILO being a mess after installation, and letting me boot only into Fedora. If Fedora couldn't see the OS during the boot from local drive option, whats the possibility that GRUB will work correctly with it?

Could someone offer me some advice on whether GRUB would work without a problem if I go ahead and install?
Hi.

To start with by selecting the "Boot from local drive" option in the DVD you chose to boot whatever OS your machine's hard drive has installed. In this case Windows Vista. It could be that the DVD mistakenly tries to boot from the recovery partition, but since I assume you want to install Fedora then you have to try any other option than "Boot from local drive".

Good luck.
Joe.

tdsmapper
22nd August 2008, 02:21 AM
@Joe

Thanks for the reply!

Oh! I didnt realise that! That seems like a totally valid reason.

I hope GRUB will do its job right. Thats my main concern!

Thanks once again!

Regards,
Arun

ryptyde
22nd August 2008, 02:52 AM
You will want to create "unallocated free space" with Vista's disk management tool first then install Fedora to the free space. :)

EDIT: Make sure to create recovery/restore discs and confirm that they boot/work before installing Fedora just in case. :)

joe.pelayo
22nd August 2008, 04:54 AM
@Joe

Thanks for the reply!

Oh! I didnt realise that! That seems like a totally valid reason.

I hope GRUB will do its job right. Thats my main concern!

Thanks once again!

Regards,
Arun
The worst GRUB could do regarding that is that it creates two Windows entries in its file: one pointing to the recovery partition and the other to the actual Windows system. There is no big deal about that, the config file can be easily edited afterwards.

Good luck.
Joe.

tdsmapper
24th August 2008, 02:45 AM
@Joe and Rypetyde

I most sincerely appreciate your replies. So kind of you.

I have installed F8 with success :)

Thank you again. I really appreciate the amount of time you spend on people needing advice like me!

Iron_Mike
25th August 2008, 02:38 AM
Most importantly, ditch F8 and install F9.

tdsmapper
25th August 2008, 03:34 AM
@Iron Mike

Wish I could, but I need F8 specific kernel version for a simulator NCTU-NS!

Thanks for the suggestion bro!