PDA

View Full Version : SeaMonkey goes dark

yonnieboy
21st August 2008, 07:49 PM
I'm guessing that when SeaMonkey goes dark and non-responsive, it means it's busy? But what does it mean when it gets dark and stays that way? The traffic monitor will also drop to 0B/s both ways. If I use Konqueror and go to the same website, I don't usually have any issues.

Anybody have experience with this? Know what to do to resolve?

JohnVV
21st August 2008, 08:01 PM
with out knowing more like are you using dial-up, dsl or a cable modem ,I can only guess .For a cable modem unplug it for about 3 to 5 min. then plug it back in .Wait about 2 to 5 min. for it to reconnect ( also a reboot may be needed while it is unplugged - unplug , turn off box , plug in , wait 3 min. , turn computer back on ) then retry Seamonkey .
you could also use " open dns" instead of the dns provided by your isp

yonnieboy
21st August 2008, 09:21 PM
This isn't effecting the other computers on the LAN. Just the F8 using SeaMonkey. I think it's something to do with the website, cause every once in awhile I'll get a momentary darkening when going to a new website or page on a website and the browser will go dark for a short period and then go normal. But this one website goes dark and stays that way. Not every website is an issue, only once in a great while I'll hit on one that does.

I've noticed on F8 that applications when busy will go dark too, but they usually recover after a few seconds. Like OpenOffice when loading will go dark.

This situation with SeaMonkey and going dark is a little worse, as it dims and stays that way and the whole application becomes non-responsive. I either have to kill the process or restart the system to recover, either choice is not desirable.

I was thinking maybe a plugin might be at fault, but which one? Since it's like Firefox. I'll call them and try to find out what's up with the website. then I'll post back with the results.

JohnVV
21st August 2008, 10:49 PM
i miss understood " going dark" i took it to mean " no signal " as in broadcast tv when a station goes dark .
but you mean the screen goes black/grayed out .
that sounds like the computer is going into stand-by or hibernate .
check System / Preferences / System / Power management
and set both sliders to never on " AC power " tab
----------
also do you have compz-fusion turned on ,that may cause this ( one or a few of the 100+ settings)

null_pointer_us
22nd August 2008, 12:28 AM
When desktop effects are enabled, applications will go turn gray (monochrome) while unresponsive.

I have no experience troubleshooting browser problems, but my guess is that some plugin (flash?) is not responding well to a website you are visiting.

Maybe when this happens again you could take note of the website(s) and find a way to reproduce the issue when desired. Then you can take steps to troubleshoot and test your "fixes."

yonnieboy
22nd August 2008, 12:55 AM
Yes I have desktop effects turned on...love the wobbly stuff. It could be the flash plugin as I never have been able to get that to work right. Can't view the youtube stuff, not that I miss it just figured it to be a winblows thing. According to the plug-in lists I have flash installed.

When first starting most apps, go to that mono-chrome description for a second or two. This one website: www.winsystems.com is a hard lock-up from this machine using SeaMonkey, Epiphany and Galeon. So the problem may be deeper than just a plug-in. I just discovered this.

JohnVV
22nd August 2008, 03:27 AM
the site http://www.winsystems.com/index.cfm works for me , even all the *.pdf's on the site .Now it could have something to do with the fact that that site is a ColdFusion powered site
i do have Shockwave Flash
File name: /???/???/seamonkey/plugins/libflashplayer.so
Shockwave Flash 9.0 r115
and
GCJ Web Browser Plugin 1.4
File name: /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.7.0-icedtea-1.7.0.0/jre/lib/i386/gcjwebplugin.so
The GCJ Web Browser Plugin executes Java applets.
installed

yonnieboy
22nd August 2008, 07:02 AM
I have a newer flash 9.0 r124, but I don't seem to have the gcjwebplugin.so. At least it's not in the above suggested folder. I also can't locate it in yumex, nor locate a repo for f8 that seems to have it. The description of it indicates it's required for all the browsers.
any idea as to how I can get it for f8?

Hlingler
22nd August 2008, 07:08 AM
You almost certainly have it. Try:
locate gcjwebplugin.so
~]$ locate gcjwebplugin.so
/usr/lib/gcj-4.1.1/libgcjwebplugin.so
/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.7.0-icedtea-1.7.0.0/jre/lib/i386/gcjwebplugin.so
/usr/share/doc/libgcj-4.1.2/README.libgcjwebplugin.so
~]$ rpm -qf /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.7.0-icedtea-1.7.0.0/jre/lib/i386/gcjwebplugin.so
java-1.7.0-icedtea-plugin-1.7.0.0-0.20.b21.snapshot.fc8.i586
~]$If not: yum install java-1.7.0-icedtea-plugin

V

JohnVV
22nd August 2008, 07:38 AM
then once you found/get it then make a link to it in your mozilla/seamonky plugin folder
I have seamonkey installed in a nonstandard place but the command should look something like this

su -
ln -s /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.7.0-icedtea-1.7.0.0/jre/lib/i386/gcjwebplugin.so /usr/opt/seamonkey/plugins

yonnieboy
22nd August 2008, 03:47 PM
Hey thanks! I've got this:
~]$ locate gcjwebplugin.so
/usr/lib/gcj-4.1.2/libgcjwebplugin.so
/usr/share/doc/libgcj-4.1.2/README.libgcjwebplugin.so

But not what you have listed. I'll do that re-install of Icedtea and check again!

yonnieboy
22nd August 2008, 05:07 PM
Ok, the about plugins show gcj web browser plugins 1.4 and a long list. I did the link thing to the seamonkey plugin folder. And it still locks-up. The package manager shows the icedtea gcjwebplugin as being installed (after I did the above yum install).

But the SeaMonkey, Epiphany and Galeon all lock-up. The problem is common to all three browsers.

JohnVV
22nd August 2008, 05:54 PM
dose it still lock up with compz-fusion turned off .if the locking up stops with it off then we will need to look at your compz-fusion install ( maybe a bad setting?)

yonnieboy
22nd August 2008, 07:16 PM
the desktop effects box always has the "enable desktop effects" button displayed. checking and un-checking the wobble and cube check boxes will enable/disable those effects. But the button always being displayed makes me wonder of desktop effects is actually being enabled fully. I can't find a compiz-fusion enable/disable feature anywhere. The package manager does show it as being installed. Compiz-0.6.2-3.fc8.i386 and compiz-gnome-0.6.2-3.fc8.i386

There's a whole bunch of these in the list but not installed. Since they all have different smaller numbers, I'm guessing they're outdated.

JohnVV
22nd August 2008, 08:55 PM
this will tell you what is installed

su -
rpm -qa | grep compiz

well it dose not look like you have compiz-fusion installed just the very basic part of compiz that comes with Gnome . That was always a bit buggy on my box until i uninstalled it and installed compiz-fusion. See this how to
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=173317

yonnieboy
22nd August 2008, 11:31 PM
~]# rpm -qa | grep compiz
compiz-0.6.2-3.fc8
compiz-gnome-0.6.2-3.fc8

That's what's on here.
Looking at what else I got to do.... This install is getting batty anyway, since I'm obviously way over my head, I think I'll just back everything up and re-install. I sure appreciate everyone's help with this.