PDA

View Full Version : All kinds of problems

corepuncher
21st August 2008, 04:37 PM
I just installed Fedora Core9. I used to have Core 3. Started from clean disk. Now, many things do not work, especially things I was used to in core 3.

When I log in, I get a "bug report" for "nm-applet" and it saves a txt file to my desktop.

Then, I was trying to figure out how to update software. When I first installed core 9, it was going through and downloading all sorts of things, but I had to reboot in the middle and can't figure out how to get it to download all that stuff again.

I tried to go to SYSTEM > ADMINISTRATION > UPDATE SYSTEM, but it gives me an error box, saying "cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: fedora. Please verify it's path and try again.

Also, firefox used to work but now when I try to run firefox it tells me "could not find compatible GRE between version 1.9b5 and 1.9b5."

I used to have core 3 and I ran fortran programs. It does not recognize f77 or g77 command.

Any way I can get NEDIT again as well? Typing NEDIT does not work.

Thanks for any input, I appreciate it.

markkuk
21st August 2008, 04:45 PM
I used to have core 3 and I ran fortran programs. It does not recognize f77 or g77 command.
The new GNU Fortran compiler is "gfortran". Install the gcc-gfortran package.

Any way I can get NEDIT again as well? Typing NEDIT does not work.

Install the nedit package.

Nokia
21st August 2008, 04:54 PM
Before anything, you should update that system
su -
setenforce 0
yum update yum* --enablerepo=updates-testing
yum update --enablerepo=updates-testing
yum install nedit gcc-gfortran
touch /.autorelabel
rpm -Uvh http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release-9.rpm # For possible future use
reboot

Otherwise you'll have many troubles :) (already found a malfunctioning Firefox)

corepuncher
21st August 2008, 05:08 PM
su -
setenforce 0
touch /.autorelabel
reboot

DOH! I just realized the eth0 was not active...I went into network settings and it was "inactive", i had to activate it. Anyone know why it would not be active on a reboot? Do I have to change a setting so it is automatically on?

Thanks a lot Nokia, I will go thorugh this process and see where it leads.

glennzo
21st August 2008, 05:13 PM
I believe that you need to enable NetworkManager so that ETH0 will start on boot. System > Administration > Services. NetworkManager is right at the top.

corepuncher
21st August 2008, 05:45 PM
I believe that you need to enable NetworkManager so that ETH0 will start on boot. System > Administration > Services. NetworkManager is right at the top.

I think I'm having ethernet troubles...the service is enabled, but it says cable might be unplugged. There is a fast light blinking on the back of my motherboard near where the cable plugs in. maybe I'll try to install a PCI Ethernet card and see if that solves it.

corepuncher
21st August 2008, 06:42 PM
I think I'm having ethernet troubles...the service is enabled, but it says cable might be unplugged. There is a fast light blinking on the back of my motherboard near where the cable plugs in. maybe I'll try to install a PCI Ethernet card and see if that solves it.

Ugh. I just can't get the internet to work. It worked fine before I upgraded. I even tried a different ethernet card.

I go to the network settings and enable/activate and it is activated. But a ping always says it can't resolve the name.

I think the "nm-applet has crashed" each time I log in has something to do with it. A google search reveals it is a network manager. So each time I log in, I get this error.

Anyone know how I can fix nm applet?

Nokia
21st August 2008, 06:45 PM
Forget about the applet now. Do you have any nameserver in /etc/resolv.conf ?

corepuncher
21st August 2008, 06:49 PM

There is nothing in that file except some commented out lines.

corepuncher
21st August 2008, 06:49 PM

There is nothing in that file except some commented out lines.

Also I remember a few days ago when I first installed Fedora 9, i had a little "network manager" icon like windows has, but I don't see it anymore.

Nokia
21st August 2008, 06:52 PM
Add the two nameservers in my signature
nameserver 208.67.222.222
nameserver 208.67.220.220

corepuncher
21st August 2008, 07:06 PM
Add the two nameservers in my signature
nameserver 208.67.222.222
nameserver 208.67.220.220

I added them. Then, I went into network settings and activated eth1 (it is always deactivated for some reason). Then I tried to ping, and it worked!

EDIT: I rebooted the computer, and now I see 2 new numbers in there...must be my own! The applet still crashes at startup though, and , I have to manually activate the eth1 card.

corepuncher
21st August 2008, 07:31 PM
su -
setenforce 0
touch /.autorelabel
reboot

Well, now that I have the internet "somewhat" working, I tried your commands to update.

After "Finished Dependency Resolution", it gives me a bunch of errors.

missing dependencies for:

bluez-libs
kernal conflicts with iwl4965-firmware
lcms
glibc

I get the same types of erros when I try to update the system through the menu system.

Nokia
21st August 2008, 07:38 PM
yum update --enablerepo=updates-testing --skip-broken

The bluez-libs thing is new. I've seen it today too.

corepuncher
21st August 2008, 08:51 PM
Thanks NOKIA for helping me get the internet to work!

I have a few troubles left that I am working on.

1) When I log in to the desktop, i get "nm-applet has crashed". Is this affecting my network, BECAUSE...

2) My network / eth0 device is ALWAYS disabled when I log in, and I have to "Activate" it manually. I would like it to automatically be activated when I log in.

Thanks.

Nokia
21st August 2008, 08:55 PM
su -
yum install yumexYumex will help you find and install the software you need.

corepuncher
21st August 2008, 09:37 PM
Thanks NOKIA for helping me get the internet to work!

I have a few troubles left that I am working on.

1) When I log in to the desktop, i get "nm-applet has crashed". Is this affecting my network, BECAUSE...

2) My network / eth0 device is ALWAYS disabled when I log in, and I have to "Activate" it manually. I would like it to automatically be activated when I log in.

Thanks.

I fixed the problem by doing yum install NetworkManager

Sweet!

marko
21st August 2008, 10:34 PM
Hi
You can also just use system-config-network (the network gui tool) and tell it to
always start the interface at boot time.