PDA

View Full Version : Reading windows burned data dvd

stlblues2
21st August 2008, 12:17 AM
I am attempting to read a data DVD that was burned on a XP machine from Fedora Core 6.
When I try to read the disk I get the error that there may not be any media on the disk; which I know is not true.

I've had success when using thumb drives between OS's before but have hit a roadblock on this one.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Dies
21st August 2008, 12:53 AM
This is pretty obvious stuff but you didn't say so I'll ask.

Do you have XP on this machine? or any other OS? Does it read fine there?

Have you tried the disk in another drive?

stlblues2
21st August 2008, 12:59 AM
I only have FC6 on this machine. I was able to use the disk on an XP machine earlier today and it read the disk fine.
I don't know what program was used to burn the DVD. I figured it has something to do with not being able to recognize the format that was used.

stlblues2
21st August 2008, 01:46 AM
Something I've just figured out...
I tried placing a regular movie DVD in the drive and it doesn't recognize it.

How do I verify that I have the DVD drive configured correctly?

A.Serbinski
21st August 2008, 06:31 AM
What do you mean by "doesn't recognize it"? Do you mean it won't play? Or that it won't mount?
Does your DVD drive have a device file? (/dev/sr0)
Did you install your OS from this drive?
Can you mount ANY disk from this drive?

Check your logs to see if there is any problem.

Finally, you say that the disk was made in windows... in what format? If its a recent version of UDF, your FC6 kernel may be too old to make sense of it. For example, UDF 2.50 read support was only introduced in kernel 2.6.26, which isn't even available in F9 (but will be available in F10 since it is to use 2.6.27). Windows vista, for example, will write disks using UDF versions up to 2.50.