PDA

View Full Version : DELL Media Direct

rockarolla
20th August 2008, 06:20 PM
Hi, I have a Inspirion 1525 with four primary partitions under vista.

the first two are ``invisible'' - they are the DELL utilities (about 70MB) and the Media Direct (about 2 GB) partitions.

The other tow are OS and the Recovery partitions. In order to install my Fedora, I would need to delete one of this partitions or to make it extended...the question is:

is it possible to make the Media Direct partition extended or at least the recovery partition extended? DELL has a HARA-KIRI button (that is the media direct buton) which can NUKE your system and start a re-partitioning sequence which may require a new reinstallment of your system.

I don't know how to approach this...

glennzo
20th August 2008, 06:32 PM
MY Toshiba / Vista laptop originally had one restore partition and one partition for Vista. I used Vista's Disk Management Tools to shrink the Vista partition and created 3 new empty partitions, 2 for Linux and 1 for swap. Vista didn't blink and still works perfectly. I'm booting Vista. XP, Fedora and Debian at this time. Before you do anything though, please make sure that you have the factory recovery disks or make a set at is usually suggested by the manufacturer.

rockarolla
20th August 2008, 06:40 PM
Well the trick here is that DELL has already 4 primary partitions...so I have made space for fedora but unless it is primary the installer cannot find it ... the Media Direct partition is some secret mistery of DELL - should've look about it before commiting again - I was to naive to rely on my old prooved DELL to get a new one :) but now time to learn has come again and got to do lots of reading...

The recovery I still keep - though I backed it up - because there are some issues with the Vista license if you do not recover your system from it ...

The best solutions have been made using a HDD zeroing - and then repartition and so on...but I already this media direct...I thought I'm buying a computer, not a dvd player...

ozjd
20th August 2008, 11:51 PM
There was a thread on here sometime ago about Dell laptops and the Media Direct ( a search should bring it up). It recommended deleting the Media Direct and recreating it later if you want it. You should have got a disc to recreate it with your laptop.

I deleted it and repartitioned the hard drive as half XP and half F8 when I got my 1520 a few months ago. Every thing works fine but I wonder if I should have just wiped the whole disc and installed F8 by itself as I haven't booted the XP partition for a couple of months.

sideways
21st August 2008, 12:25 AM
Dell laptops are a bit annoying in the way the disk is partitioned but you can keep the preinstalled OS and dual boot Fedora (and even have media direct)

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=184945

(Note that Vista Disk manager won't allow a partition resize which touches system files such as the page file, hence the resize limit is usually about 50% of the main ntfs partition)

Thetargos
21st August 2008, 12:34 AM
So long you don't change the start/end blocks of the last partition, you can delete that partition and recreate it as extended using fdisk within the rescue environment of Fedora or live media. Then you should be able to shrink the partition. However, if the Direct Media routine is hard coded to erase and repartition, that may very well mean that the partition will be recreated as primary upon a recovery.

rockarolla
21st August 2008, 01:39 AM
Dell laptops are a bit annoying in the way the disk is partitioned but you can keep the preinstalled OS and dual boot Fedora (and even have media direct)

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=184945

(Note that Vista Disk manager won't allow a partition resize which touches system files such as the page file, hence the resize limit is usually about 50% of the main ntfs partition)

Everything would be fine if there wasn't the MediaDirect button ... in the previous discussion that hasn't been mentioned. I read in ubuntu forums about the trick with this button and have to find a solution about it - I can always remove MediaDirect as noone needs it - but then accidential hit on the small house button (kids like it) would make my life exciting.

do you have this button? Have you pressed it after all? I need to figure out what to do.

ozjd
21st August 2008, 03:14 AM
Everything would be fine if there wasn't the MediaDirect button ... in the previous discussion that hasn't been mentioned. I read in ubuntu forums about the trick with this button and have to find a solution about it - I can always remove MediaDirect as noone needs it - but then accidential hit on the small house button (kids like it) would make my life exciting.

do you have this button? Have you pressed it after all? I need to figure out what to do.

My 1520 has the button and pressing it when Fedora is running does ......absolutely nothing! Don't know what would happen if windows was running though.
BTW, as an aside, xev doesn't recognise that button so I can't use for something useful :(

rockarolla
21st August 2008, 06:32 AM
Well the trick is when nothing is working and you press it...I've found exciting stories about it. If you test it when your pc is suspended or switched off, let me know what happens. I think I'll hack media direct ... well I'll browse and seek for a better solution ...

M4rc0
22nd August 2008, 09:03 AM
I have a m1530 and i'm too scared to press that media direct button :D

By the way, i read that this "linux destructive partition" is not there on newer models anymore

I wiped off everything on my Fedora install, but only then i read about this media direct hidden partition =/
But who knows, maybe it's not there. Don't push the button! :d

ozjd
22nd August 2008, 11:21 PM
Well the trick is when nothing is working and you press it...I've found exciting stories about it. If you test it when your pc is suspended or switched off, let me know what happens. I think I'll hack media direct ... well I'll browse and seek for a better solution ...

Tried it with the computer off. It tried to start Media Direct, a splash screen came up, but as the partition doesn't exist anymore it started the computer as normal. Fedora booted properly. No problems I am posting this from there.