PDA

View Full Version : Viewing other partitions

james016
26th July 2004, 11:26 PM
My PC has several partitions on it that I'd like to view in FC2. They are listed in the Hardware Browser.

Do I just use the mount command ie mount /dev/hda<x>

Someone on another forum mentioned fstab. Do I need to edit this file?

ilja
26th July 2004, 11:30 PM
the /etc/fstab file contains all devices to mount (open it and look at it). To "see" a device you have to mount it (see man mount). And not to enter the command everytime there is the fstab file.

james016
26th July 2004, 11:39 PM
So I can add the partitions into fstab. I had a quick look last night. it had /dev/hda2 and hda3 which is the Fedora install and the swap partition.

WebWind
26th July 2004, 11:44 PM
You must edit your fstab if you need automount your patrtions at the system start up. If not, you can mount it manually. See also man fstab.

owakroeger
26th July 2004, 11:57 PM
And, you don't necessarily have to mount them in '/' or '/mnt'. You can mount your other partitions where ever it makes sense and convenience for you. For example, I have a partition that I have set up just to do my tinkering with new kernels. So, I made a directory in my /home directory called 'workbench', and then I mount that partition in the directory /home/me/workbench. What ever makes sense and convenience for you.
The man fstab is must reading :) :)

james016
27th July 2004, 12:18 AM
Is man fstab a CLI command or in the help files?

owakroeger
27th July 2004, 02:31 AM
from a terminal just enter;
$ man fstab

ilja
27th July 2004, 02:33 AM
or just enter in google man fstab and you will get this : http://www.die.net/doc/linux/man/man5/fstab.5.html
(I like to read my manpages in the browser. I know you guys are going to kill me for this :D )

owakroeger
27th July 2004, 02:44 AM
Hey, thanks, ilja! I just went to the link you posted.... cool! ( or what ever the current genre is... i.e. 'far out', 'groovy', 'heavy', 'hot', etc)
I love these forums. There is such a wealth of information that everyone is anxious and willing to share. I haven't had this much fun since I smoked my first ham radio back in '56!! :p :p :p :eek:

james016
27th July 2004, 09:37 AM
I had a look at that site and man fstab and it's made me more confused.
I'd like to add an entry for sda6 which is a FAT32 partition. Would the entry be:
/dev/sda6 /mnt/sda6 FAT32 defaults 0 0

ilja
27th July 2004, 09:45 AM
/dev/hda6 /mnt/win2 vfat user,exec,dev,suid 1 2

it's my entry in fstab. I can't remember what it means. But it can be accessed by every user.

james016
27th July 2004, 10:19 AM
I got it with a combination of your fstab entry, finding that there is an actual mnt folder which explains the "no mount point defined" error and this site: http://www.tuxfiles.org/linuxhelp/fstab.html

It also didn't like FAT32 as a file system

Again I thank you :D

Now I can back up my up2date sources file. After the broigus I had with that.