PDA

View Full Version : Can't boot a fresh install of Fedora 9.

taracor
19th August 2008, 07:30 AM
So I recently downloaded a copy of Fedora Core 9, and decided to install it onto my old laptop. (Dell Inspiron 5100). The install went fine, but when I tried to boot it, not so much. I got to the screen where it says something like:

Starting (something)....................................... .......[OK] (without the dots, they are placeholders)

(you'll have to forgive me for my descriptions, I'm VERY new to linux.)

Well it did that for a while and when it got to SSHD it hung up and froze. So I restarted it, and this time it got all the way to starting CUPS and hung up and froze. So I restarted a few times but it still couldn't get passed CUPS.

So I went to the interactive startup mode and was planning to turn off CUPS, as someone suggested to me. Well it hung up on SSHD again, and kept doing that every time, so I turned that off too. Well I managed to get passed that screen and to the 'create an account' page. So I made my account. When I finished that, I only got a blank screen with just my mouse on it, and now when I startup through interactive mode and turn of SSHD and CUPS, after I log in, I only get that blank screen and my mouse.

Hopefully someone can help me out with this, I'd appreciate it greatly.

glennzo
19th August 2008, 08:47 AM
A blank screen with a command prompt, probably says localhost login:, and mouse or mouse only?

taracor
19th August 2008, 08:20 PM
Nope, just the mouse.

glennzo
19th August 2008, 08:26 PM
If you hit CTRL/ALT/F7 what do you get / see, anything?

taracor
19th August 2008, 08:43 PM
Well CTR/Alt/F7 doesn't, but CTRL/ALT/F8 does. The screen changes and I get a blinking cursor thing, and I can type, and if I do CTRL/ALT/F7 then, it goes back to the previous blank screen.

glennzo
19th August 2008, 08:48 PM
Then log in as root with root password. Edit the file /etc/inittab with the vi editor.
vi /etc/inittab.Look for the line that says id:5:initdefault:. If it has a 3 and not a 5 then change it, save the file and reboot. Let's see if it boots to the graphical desktop.

taracor
19th August 2008, 08:56 PM
When I type that after logging in as root, nothing happens. I hit enter and the cursor drops down a line, and that's all.

glennzo
19th August 2008, 09:08 PM
I hope someone else chimes in here because if it was me I'd be re-installing. I don't know what else to tell you.

taracor
19th August 2008, 09:11 PM
Ok, sorry, I'm stupid. I did CTRL/ALT/F1 and logged in as root, and did what you said and I found that line, the id:5:initdefault.

glennzo
19th August 2008, 09:23 PM
Type logout and then log in as regular user, Then type startx. Tell me what happens.

taracor
19th August 2008, 10:27 PM
xauth: creating new authority file /home/(myname)/.serverauth.2625
xauth: error in locking authority file /home/(myname)/.Xauthority

Fatal server error:
Server is already active for display 0
If this server is already running, remove /tmp/.X0-lock
and start again.

xinit: Server error

is what I get.

Sorry about the late reply

Edit:
I decided to look in the logs and in the anaconda.syslog I found this

<5> SMP motherboard not detected
<5>local APIC not detected. Using dummy APIC emulation.

also

<6>No dock devices found>

I dunno how big of the problem that is, but 'motherboard undetected' can't be a good thing..

glennzo
20th August 2008, 01:32 AM
At the boot menu when you choose Fedora instead of pressing enter press 'e'. Then arrow down to the line that looks similar to this:

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.25.14-108.fc9.i686 ro root=UUID=67a30fd4-7022-4ebe-8f9d-07cd2aabd732 rhgb quietPress 'e' again and move to the end of the line. Add a space and the word noapic so that it now looks like this:

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.25.14-108.fc9.i686 ro root=UUID=67a30fd4-7022-4ebe-8f9d-07cd2aabd732 rhgb quiet noapic
. Press enter and press 'b' to boot. See what we get, and hope that someone with more talent than I steps in to help.

taracor
20th August 2008, 02:00 AM
Unfortunately, nothing new happened. It was the exact same scenario. I tried the live CD, and the same thing happened again, but when I tried an old ubuntu CD I dug up (looking for FC6) it booted into the live CD of ubuntu.

taracor
20th August 2008, 08:47 PM
Ok, so I found a live CD of fedora core 6 and it worked. Also I did some googling and only found people running FC6 or earlier on my model of laptop for some reason.

Anyway I managed to get a copy of dmesg if you want to take a look at that, but I'd have to break it into 3 parts, so if someone wants me to post that, I will.

glennzo
21st August 2008, 01:54 AM
Unfortunately, nothing new happened. It was the exact same scenario. I tried the live CD, and the same thing happened again, but when I tried an old ubuntu CD I dug up (looking for FC6) it booted into the live CD of ubuntu.Sorry for not replying. I didn't see any new posts here. Anyhow, if you still want to try the Fedora 9 DVD then take some time and explore anaconda options, that is to say the command line options you pass when booting the DVD, like noapic that you just tried. There is a long list of options available. One or more may be helpful to you. Start with this link, https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/Options.

JohnVV
21st August 2008, 03:03 AM
after a quick read through i looks like the old machine is to old for fedora 9
i would have a go with CentOS and see if that will install .

taracor
21st August 2008, 05:40 AM
Thanks for the information guys, I appreciate it a lot. John, what is CentOS?

JohnVV
21st August 2008, 06:06 AM
CentOS is a clone /build from the source code of RHEL 5.1 but with the red hat logos and graphics removed (approx. the same as fedora 6 and 7 )
http://centos.org/

taracor
21st August 2008, 06:11 AM
Ok, cool cool. I noticed on the site that it is not related to Linux at all, which threw me off. So it's pretty much the same thing then? Same shell commands same GUI same basic OS? Is it actually based on the Linux kernel at all or no?

JohnVV
21st August 2008, 06:23 AM
in all practical matters it is the same as RHEL
http://www.redhat.com/rhel/

Hlingler
21st August 2008, 06:31 AM
Ok, cool cool. I noticed on the site that it is not related to Linux at all, which threw me off. So it's pretty much the same thing then? Same shell commands same GUI same basic OS? Is it actually based on the Linux kernel at all or no????

Yes, it's very much Linux. In fact, you may have a tough time telling the difference between Fedora-GNOME and CentOS at first....

V

taracor
21st August 2008, 07:04 AM
Oh, ok that makes sense. Thanks! So now I'm just deciding on whether I want to install CentOS or Puppy (since I KNOW that one will work) I'm assuming you guys recommend CentOS?

fiestyev
27th August 2008, 09:18 PM
I was just about to install Fedora 9 on my Inspiron 5100 before I read this, on mine the F9 live cd boots oI may try CentOS so let me/us know how it goes, thanks

taracor
27th August 2008, 09:20 PM
Well I haven't actually gotten around to putting CentOS on it yet. I've just been running puppy since I haven't had much free time lately.