PDA

View Full Version : Wikipedia dictionary?

superbnerd
26th July 2004, 03:04 PM
I s there a desktop front end like gnome-dictionary or a way to get gnome-dictionary to work with wikipedia.org.

foolish
27th July 2004, 01:52 AM
Interessting question. I'm currently using stardict: stardict.sf.net

Stardict is great, it can rest in your notification area (next to the clock) and when you press your control-key (ctrl, shift, alt or the windowskey) and mark a word, in any program, it will look that word up in the dictionaries you have configured. It's great for those of us who aren't native english speakers, as we can translate and look words up on the fly.

Installed it and dictionaries by RPM and they're working great.

About wikipedia: I can't find any dictionary-file for stardict that will look in wikipedia. Sorry.

shtik
27th July 2004, 05:49 AM
hey foolish, stardict seems to be a really nice program, thanks for the hint, i think i can get used to it ...

copter
28th July 2004, 01:20 PM
Interessting question. I'm currently using stardict: www.stardict.sf.net

Stardict is great, it can rest in your notification area (next to the clock) and when you press your control-key (ctrl, shift, alt or the windowskey) and mark a word, in any program, it will look that word up in the dictionaries you have configured. It's great for those of us who aren't native english speakers, as we can translate and look words up on the fly.

Installed it and dictionaries by RPM and they're working great.

About wikipedia: I can't find any dictionary-file for stardict that will look in wikipedia. Sorry.
Hi : tried to install starduct but I get this :
file /usr/bin/stardict from install of stardict-2.4.3-1 conflicts with file from package stardict-1.31-20

what can I do ??

Jman
29th July 2004, 11:02 AM
For some reason Fedora comes with stardict-1.31-20. You can remove it first by running
rpm -e stardict

I use the gnome-dictionary applet. Right click an empty part of the panel and add it. Then you can just enter the word in the box to look it up.

If you use the Mozilla web browser you can make a shortcut to the wiktionary. Bookmark the main page (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Main_Page). Edit the bookmark to replace Main_Page in the URL with %s. Then enter a keyword, like define. Now when you enter "define something" into the location bar, the Wiktionary will load. This technique works well for custom searches you do over and over again.

superbnerd
29th July 2004, 08:21 PM
thanks, that is actually usefull. I also use the gdict applet.