PDA

View Full Version : Can't run package updater

michael.wegemer
17th August 2008, 11:55 PM
I just completed a YUM update of a freshly installed Fedora 9 system and now I cannot run Add/Remove programs at all. When I try as ROOT (I know, not recommended) it says it will not run in graphical mode for a privileged user. When I try to run as my regular user name it cannot get a TID because of an * returned in the path name. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks

marcrblevins
18th August 2008, 04:02 AM
Can you try it again? There was some Yum server issues worldwide.

http://lwn.net/Articles/294324/

Demz
18th August 2008, 04:07 AM
I just completed a YUM update of a freshly installed Fedora 9 system and now I cannot run Add/Remove programs at all. When I try as ROOT (I know, not recommended) it says it will not run in graphical mode for a privileged user. When I try to run as my regular user name it cannot get a TID because of an * returned in the path name. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks
it takes awhile for all Mirrors to be synced so i'd try again at a later time, .. if you had of read on the front Page, Yum is Back online,

michael.wegemer
18th August 2008, 11:53 AM
I guess the readers missed the point that I had completed a YUM update. This occurred AFTER the servers were back up. SINCE that update I am not able to update any packages using RPM or run Update/Remove software from the menus. I did try it again and I have exactly the same results. There is a typo in my original post. I am not get an asterisk returned in the path. I am getting a semi colon. I have a screen shot of the error message but do not know how to include it.

tboland
20th August 2008, 05:18 PM
I am having the same problem after new install of F9 and then yum -y update, whcih I did yestereday 19 Aug 2008.

michael.wegemer
20th August 2008, 07:19 PM
I re-installed FC9 deleting all Linux partitions and then ran an update. I still have the problem with user root but I can now run the others from my regular. It is a real pain typing the root password every 10 minutes as I try to set up the system the way I want it but at least I can work now.

JohnVV
20th August 2008, 08:03 PM
It is a real pain typing the root password every 10 minutes
it is not a recommended thing to do but ...
try starting Nautilus as root

su -
nautilus --no-desktop