PDA

View Full Version : visio on linux

efie
17th August 2008, 10:03 PM
i need a visio like program that works the same ( openoffice draw is no good) :)

Skunk Worx
17th August 2008, 10:29 PM
'Works the same' is a tough nut to crack. Visio has massive capabilities, and a lot of them are niche stuff.

You could try 'dia'. That's the usual diagramming recommendation for linux.

There are many others...this topic comes up a lot. Try searching the forums.

Also netbeans has UML capabilities for software development. I'm planning on trying that under OpenJDK and Fedora 9 soon. The files would likely be fully transferable between Solaris, Linux, Windows and Mac OS.

Seve
17th August 2008, 10:30 PM
( Moved to Software )

ValHolla
17th August 2008, 11:31 PM
if you are licensed for visio, there is an application crossover linux from codeweavers. they are the driving force behind wine. but they support running ms office / visio and more that are not supported under wine. apps run well and are as stable as they are on windoz.

I have searched high and low for a visio sub under Linux and the closest I have come is dia and saving in xml format. however if you are sharing docs between visio users and dia users, not everything converts cleanly back to visio after editing with Dia, and the visio users must save in xml format and not the .vis format. crossover linux is what I went with at work.

mwette
18th August 2008, 02:58 AM
I use visio at work.
dia sucks IMO -- try inkscape ("yum install inkscape" and http://inkscape.org for nice manual)
I am trying to figure a way to convert totally to inkscape and dump visio

ValHolla
18th August 2008, 03:12 AM
inkscape is a great vector image application, however it does not offer the ability to re-import to visio. using only inkscape is fine as long as everyone uses a vector image program.
For many, we do not have the option of dumping visio all together, since most companies are a MS shop, that means MS office suite including MS visio.
I look forward to the day we have FOSS alternatives to all closed source apps, however, I am not holding my breath. until then, I must rely on wine and or crossover to bridge the gaps.

efie
18th August 2008, 07:34 AM
Hi Thanks a lot i will try it now