PDA

View Full Version : A mixed mail server environment

majdi
17th August 2008, 09:19 PM
We have been running a mail server called Scalix and it can run on a number of distros just fine, we had it running on suse for about 8 months with no incident. Now that we are looking at upgrading our server due to the increase in users I thought of using Fedora, I have grown a custom to it.

This is a production server and a lot of people wont recommend running such a critical application on Fedora. If the Fedora upgrades are managed properly, should I really worry about anything else?

I know trying to simulate this environment for testing the upgrades before actually installing them on the production server is a difficult task, is there any other way? besides posting them on a forum and hoping someone else has this exact setup?

Our users are running a variety of mail client software (thunderbird, outlook, outlook express, windows mail), we want to change this and standardise it. I have chosen to test Evolution for this and wanted your feedback;

Evolution should run smooth on xp, vista because we know it runs good on Linux. Your feedback will be appreciated.

Thanks.

scottro
17th August 2008, 10:28 PM
I would recommend CentOS 5.x rather than Fedora. It's practically identical to RHEL 5.x. It's built for stability, while Fedora isn't, but the layout and everything else should be close enough so that you would be quite comfortable.

I would really recommend against trying it without testing--especially with email, users tend to be very quick to complain. Posting on a forum is NOT the way to do it, as forums are more to support one question at a time. :)

(Doesn't Scalix offer decent support?)

Has anyone tested Evolution on Windows? Until your post, I didn't even know it had a Windows client. :) Good luck standardizing--hopefully, you have the bosses firmly behind you on this, because trust me, the users are going to complain--just be very nice to them and explain that you understand, you're having problems too even though you're the IT guy, but you really believe it's going to be best and that in a month or so all the quirks will be smoothed out. (Yeah, I know you're not having problems, but lie a little--misery loves company.)

I think the transition to CentOS probably won't be hard---it's similar to Fedora, and the various things that Scalix probably uses are likely to be the same on both. I would really suggest doing as much testing as possible before putting it into production though.

If you get Fedora working, then don't update, it might be a workable choice, but as I'm sure you realize, it's simply not the most stable distro out there.
jj

marcrblevins
18th August 2008, 03:36 AM
If you are still sticking for Fedora, go for Fedora 8.

RHEL4/CentOS 5.2 is Fedora 4 + 5 + 6, is that right?

If I was in your shoes, go for CentOS, as scottro recommented. You are still welcome to come into this forum and ask for help. RHEL/CentOS/Fedora are the same flav.

scottro
18th August 2008, 04:10 AM
I think so. The RedHat bible that covers Fedora 6 is for RHEL 4. It's got a 2.6.18 something kernel.

As for marcblevins' other comment, of course you're welcome here. This forum is far more active than the CentOS one, though the signal to noise ratio is much worse. :) Many CentOS people, including myself, if they don't get an answer on the CentOS forums, also post here.
(Although for Scalix questions, you'll probably be best off on *their* forums. :) )