PDA

View Full Version : New to all of this...

Psycho
17th August 2008, 07:43 PM
Hey, I'm in the market for a laptop and in my quest of being awesome I want to use Fedora on it (dual booting that and XP).

However, I've had no experience with linux of any kind. I want to learn how to use it and I think installing it on my personal laptop is the best way to do that.

That leads me to my two questions:

1. Does anyone know of a good beginner's guide to fedora?

2. Can someone look over the specs of what I want and let me know of any compatibility issues?

XPS M1530 Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T5850 (2.16GHz/667Mhz FSB/2MB cache)System Color
Memory 3GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz (2 Dimms)
LCD, Color and camera Glossy, widescreen 15.4 inch LCD (1280x800) & 2.0 MP Camera
Video Card 256MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600M GT
Hard Drives Size: 250GB 5400rpm SATA Hard Drive
Combo or DVD+RW Drive Slot Load DVD+/-RW (DVD/CD read/write)
Sound Card High Definition Audio 2.0
Wireless Networking Cards Dell Wireless 1505 Wireless-N Mini-card
Primary Battery 56 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
SECURITY Finger Print Reader XPS M1530
Bluetooth and Wireless USB Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth Internal (2.0+Enhanced Data Rate)

bob
17th August 2008, 07:55 PM
I'll let the tech guys work on the specs with you, (I'll just drool instead). But I'll point you to the FedoraFAQ link at the top of the page. Also, check out the 'Read This First' Forum for a ton of links to exactly what you're after.

scottro
17th August 2008, 08:58 PM
Well, I think we all should aid in a quest to be awesome. I like that, I wish I could get away with using it on closing trouble tickets.
Oh....kay.

I think you are going to have trouble with the wireless card. I also think it's fixable. Try putting the number of the card into the search box and seeing what you get.

However--right now, the repositories are down, so you will have to delay the awesomeness quest a day or so while they do some necessary fixing.

Otherwise, it's probably best to start with some of the links Bob has given. There's a heck of a lot of reading involved--unfortunately, the main fedora pages, telling you what's great about Fedora tend to gloss over the problems. In fairness, Apple's main pages don't say, Buy Us--we won't only lock you into the software, your hardware is ours too!

I'm exaggerating a bit of course (not about what Apple does) but seriously--Fedora's main pages don't mention the downside of the cutting edge stuff which is that cutting edges can make you bleed.
Sometimes, new things will be thrown in that won't work. So be prepared--however, if you are truly on a quest to be awesome, it's much more of a challenge than some of the easier distributions. :)

(I'm not making fun of it really, I truly admire that line, and am trying to think of places I can use it--I think that closing trouble tickets is not the right place though. Hrrm, the daily status reports to my boss--naw, probably a bad idea, though he's a great boss and if he was in the right mood, he'd be amused.)

There are a bunch of excellent resources around, sometimes hard to find, sometimes very obvious. However, I would recommend waiting a day or so, as a lot of what you will need to do will involve having functioning repos. (See the announcements section about the problem with them.)

Psycho
18th August 2008, 11:53 PM
Thanks! I found a thread about someone having problems with the card, but there's some good tips in there and he got it figured out. I haven't ordered my computer yet, but when I do I'll reply to this thread again and let everyone know how it works out.

scottro
19th August 2008, 12:19 AM
Please do, it always helps to know what works and what doesn't work.

av1611
19th August 2008, 04:33 PM
the number one problem I've had with laptops is the soundcard not working.

Behind that, the wireless card.

I know Turions used to be an issue

I have a Toshiba Qosmio and the only issue I have with F9 is the tv tuner won't work.

My Toshiba DID NOT work with F8, F7, F6 but did with <F6. There was a regression in the kernel....

In hind sight, I would have still bought my Qosmio, but the Dell setup seems to work well, and you can overwrite the ubuntu :p

Another approach is to take a Live CD and boot the pc you wanna buy and see if the sound and wireless work. It doesn't touch the hard drive, and answers all your questions. If the place won't let you try they are ignorant of what a Live CD is and as such prolly shouldn't be selling you one to begin with... do you really want them to be your warranty holder?

I've had poor success with HP in general with linux, but I like them as a company. My last one I paid 1200 for and gave it to my daughter cause it just flat wouldn't work with linux.

IBM also is a good place to look and they "linux friendly".

I wouldn't buy and Acer for my dog...

one other options: PPC based Mac Laptops work very well if you you don't mind the missing keys from the keyboard :p

There are a great many good third party laptop builders out there that do a good job but you gotta figure that our yourself for where you are. There are several websites that try to help us mobile users, but they don't seem to get enough community support to be that helpful.

My 2 cents...