PDA

View Full Version : Newbee Questions

freddie
26th July 2004, 03:09 AM
I installed Fedora FC2 on an old K6-200 PC as an experiment using Linux. I've historically been a Windows person. I have a few basic questions and can't seem to find answers. Maybe I'm just not looking in the correct place.

1) I installed Fedora as "Workstation" and it boots directly to GNOME. What files do I need to change so that the machine boots directly to the shell?

2) Once I get the shell booting at startup, how would I start GNOME from the shell?

3) I downloaded a few .tar files and uncompressed them by right clicking them in GNOME and choosing "uncompress". I've used chmod 777 on the uncompressed file to make it executable. It then turns green in the shell window. if I type the file name I then get a BASH error "not a valid command". Basically, how do you run an executable from the shell?

Hope someone can help me on these. Thanks....

seabass55
26th July 2004, 04:08 AM
1> edit /etc/inittab and change id:5:initdefault to id:3:initdefault

2> You type "startx" (without the "" ofcourse)

3> put a ./ before teh command (period forward slash)

owakroeger
26th July 2004, 04:27 AM
Oh, yes.... don't forget the " ./ " I forget to do this all the time, and sometimes two or three times before the light comes on in my head....duh!
Also, some commands may only be executed as root. But try not to forget to exit from 'su' when you're finished with the need for root privilages. Especially if you're on-line or expect to get on-line.

ilja
26th July 2004, 08:04 AM
and to make a file executable you don't need to make it 777, but a better and more secure way is to make: chmod +x

crackers
26th July 2004, 10:16 AM
chmod +x == chmod 0777

"Safer" is chmod u+x (executable by user)

ilja
26th July 2004, 06:36 PM
chmod +x == chmod 0777

It's mathematical not correct correct would be chmod +x ≅ chmod 0777 or chmod +x ≡ chmod 0777 :p :D
Thanks for the tip.

robopera
27th July 2004, 11:23 AM
It's better to chmod with numbers... people need to understand permissions.

xxx ==user/owner, group, and other

The default file permissions are 755 on a newly created file. This would equal the following:

user can read, write, and execute
group can read and execute
other can read and execute

So, to map it out for a default set of permissions...

user x(4) x(2) x(1) == total of 7
group x(4) - x(1) == total of 5
other x(4) - x(1) == total of 5

For example, if I create a file called "foo" and wish to change it so only I the user/owner can do anything with it, I would issue the following command:

chmod 700 foo

If I wanted to give total permissions to everyone, I would issue the following command:

chmod 777 foo

crackers
27th July 2004, 06:27 PM
I may be oldskool (I'll see you your octal and raise you a hexidecimal!), but I'm also lazy - I use the "ugo +rwx" all the time... ;)

superbnerd
27th July 2004, 06:39 PM
thats not being lazy, that called smart. why do extra work win you can get the same quality in less time. or you could use nautilus to edit permisions. same results. lazy? maybe, but probably smarter.