PDA

View Full Version : nautilus hangs after a 'network share' goes down without properly unmounted

saravanan.2407
16th August 2008, 05:57 PM
I had mounted a windows share using 'mount -t cifs' and was browsing the share in nautilus.
When the windows machine was shutted down, nautilus hangs. (I am using Nautilus 2.22.5.1 - Fedora 9)

I had to kill the nautilus by 'Force Quitting' to resolve this.
Is there anyother way to overcome this situation in a smooth way ?

when i tried to unmount the share in terminal (after the nautilus hung) i got these errors,
[root@saravanan-pc saravanan]# umount /mnt/temp
unmount error 16 = Device or resource busy
Refer to the umount.cifs(8) manual page (man 8 umount.cifs)

joe.pelayo
16th August 2008, 06:14 PM
I had mounted a windows share using 'mount -t cifs' and was browsing the share in nautilus.
When the windows machine was shutted down, nautilus hangs. (I am using Nautilus 2.22.5.1 - Fedora 9)

when i tried to unmount the share in terminal (after the nautilus hung) i got these errors,
[root@saravanan-pc saravanan]# umount /mnt/temp
Yeah, that's the way Nautilus behaves when a share is not properly removed. You were lucky though to have been able to just kill Nautilus. When that happened to me I had to hard reboot the machine.

You say it is a Windows machine who acts as a server, right? It's through Samba, isn't it? I'd try opening the "Services" dialog and stopping/restarting Samba.

Thanks.
Joe.

Firewing1
16th August 2008, 06:52 PM

I would submit a bug against nautilus, it shouldn't do this...
Firewing1