PDA

View Full Version : how to enable low-battery alarm?

alexanjo
16th August 2008, 12:42 PM
Dear forum:

Is there a way to enable a low-battery alarm when running fedora 8 on an asus z99hseries laptop? Is there a way for the OS to auto suspend the laptop when there is a low-battery state?

The following published description

(http://www.cameratim.com/reviews/computing/asus-pro31j-series-f3jc-laptop/)

describes exactly what I am experiencing with fedora 8 on an asus z99hseries laptop:

"...Fedora abruptly died when the battery died. Despite being able to monitor the battery status (the icon that shows up in the notification area, provided by the power manager), and warn you that you're running out of charge, it didn't automatically shut down or hibernate as my on-battery-power power-manager preferences dictated..."

The command, "cat /proc/acpi/battery/BAT*/*", returns the following information about the battery state via ACPI:

alarm: unsupported
present: yes
design capacity: 51260 mWh
last full capacity: 45936 mWh
battery technology: rechargeable
design voltage: 11100 mV
design capacity warning: 5126 mWh
design capacity low: 2563 mWh
capacity granularity 1: 506 mWh
capacity granularity 2: 506 mWh
model number: A8---24
serial number:
battery type: LIon
OEM info: ASUSTEK
present: yes
capacity state: ok
charging state: charged
present rate: 0 mW
remaining capacity: 45936 mWh
present voltage: 12460 mV

If the "unsupported" alarm was supported, would this address my issue?

Ciao,

Jordan

ozjd
17th August 2008, 03:27 AM
On kde F8 Kpowersave has facility to give warnings on set levels of battery charge. It allows you to select to shutdown when the charge reaches a set level too, mine is set to 2%.

I can't tell you if it works as I have never tried it. I rarely use the laptop (a Dell 1520) on battery for very long. The notification on AC on and off does work though. I get a similar report to you about unsupported alarm. The low battery notification did work on my old Thinkpad with F8.